Flora Review

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2024

I chose this cruise to explore river cruise offerings. I have river cruised with AMA which was very good in all areas - food, cabins, evening activity, beverage offering. I have stayed in an Arosa hotel in Sylt which was very good and thought the river cruise would be similar. I ocean cruise with Azamara, Celebrity, Oceania, and the German Hapag lloyd MS Europa 2 so this review is not about German Culture ships it is about Arosa for US travellers who prefer the types of lines I noted. The cruise had approx 130 passengers for a approx 180 passenger ship so the cabin issues should not have been a problem.

The cruise was really inferior for many reasons which I will now address. I selected a cabin midship on the Arosa Mia. The Aroso Mia was replaced due to Engine issues. I booked cabin 237 on the Mia. The Flora does not have a 237 cabin. My new french balcony cabin on the Flora was in the back of the ship next to the Engine ( quite loud and worse….the engine diesel exhaust fills the rear cabins when the ship is going through the locks or if the french door is open when standing. That means if you are sleeping….in the cabin for 8 hours….you are surrounded by diesel fumes once the ship goes through a lock and there are many locks. Problem is the exhaust enters the room but only dissipates if you open the door while moving….who books a cruise to inhale diesel fumes. I informed the hotel director that the cabin was not acceptable and he offered me a deck 1….river level cabin for sleeping. The lower cabin smelled of perspiration ( sweat) and the mattress was slept through….offered little support. I told the reception that the cabin needed a new mattress but was told ALL of the mattresses are like that. To make things worse, the company headquarters in Rostock upgraded passengers from deck 1 to deck 3 so there was zero flexibility for equivalent mid-ship deck 2 or deck 3 cabins. Previous reviews have addressed the diesel exhaust problem so I am not sure why passengers are still assigned to cabins that most likely present health issues. The housekeeping members were very good and supportive.

The MIA has a much better fitness and spa than the Flora. I booked the cruise in Jan thinking I would use the Mia spa. The Flora Spa and fitness area is inadequate as a substitute for the Mia.

6 Helpful Votes
next review

Find a cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.