Norwegian Getaway Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023
Traveled with children

I have not been on many vacations in my life, so I was quite excited for a 12-day Christmas cruise. I don’t enjoy being away from home for very long, so I was a little unsure of how the cruise would be. My family insisted it would be fun, making promises of delicious food, fun activities, and as much diet soda I could want. Unfortunately, they were very, very wrong and what followed were 12 days and 12 nights of some of the worst experiences of my life.

From day 1, the red flags started popping up. We arrived at the ship extra early to ensure we would get on without a problem. When we entered the line for guests who had reserved a wheelchair, we were informed that there would be about a two-hour wait. With no available seats in the accessibility section and a wait of two hours, my grandmother had to walk onboard herself. Then she was told she had to walk through security without her cane to support her AND none of us were allowed to help her walk either. I have never seen such a terrible, inconvenient, and rude process for people with disabilities to enter anywhere. I have several more complaints revolving around the mistreatment and mismanagement of my grandmother. On the third day of the twelve-day cruise, my grandmother tested positive for COVID-19. The doctor in the medical bay informed us she would have to quarantine in her stateroom for five days. He also informed me that he would inform the housekeeping staff of this. I asked him if she would be entitled to free room service while quarantined and he said yes. This was not true. She was charged for room service. The ship’s staff offered little to no assistance to her during quarantine. Unable to clean her room during her quarantine without leaving her room and thus breaking her quarantine, her room began to smell and her condition worsened. We had to disembark her and fly her home as soon as we reached port in U.S. territory. With all of the trouble cruise ships faced during the pandemic, I cannot understand how the ship and its staff were completely unable to provide any assistance to us. Instead, the ship’s doctor said he recommended one of us in our family stay with her 24/7 to ensure she is tended to. This would be a lovely suggestion if we had access to masks or were trained in medical care. I could not understand such a ridiculous suggestion by this doctor. Suggesting we expose ourselves to COVID-19 and then continue to wander around the ship was absurd. A trip to guest services was also no help. I asked several questions about how they could assist my grandmother, what their protocol is, and how we can go about the disembarkation process. He simply said she had to quarantine and couldn’t disembark until we reached U.S. territory. Besides that, they could offer no help. I can understand their following of international travel laws, but to be so blunt and unhelpful with anything else was disheartening and frustrating.

The most frustrating part of the saga with my grandmother was one day when I was called by my mother in a panic who insisted I go check on her. When my sister and I arrived at the room, we found my grandmother, who had not gotten out of bed in several days, in her electric scooter with two ship employees. Once we arrived, they quickly left without even telling us what was going on. It took us several hours of calling guest services, going to guest services, and talking to housekeeping staff to track down who was in my grandmother’s room. Once we successfully contacted the staff member, who ended up being the director of housekeeping, he told us an uninformative and unsatisfactory story of what happened. When I returned to guest services later to find out more, I was told a completely different story by a staff member who had taken a call from another passenger who contacted guest services about my grandmother. We were left confused, unsatisfied, and once again disheartened. However, while the issues surrounding my grandmother and her illness were very telling of the cruise line's care for their passengers, it doesn’t begin to tell the story of how terrible I found this ship and company to be.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Getaway Cruise from $316

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.