Silver Dawn Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Verandah Suite

Having done more than twenty Crystal cruises I have been trying alternatives since their demise (yes, I know they are back in business, I have booked a Crystal cruise for later this year), I tried Seabourne - nearly as good as Crystal - and three Silversea cruises in last nine months. This was my second cruise on Silver Dawn, it didn't have the same vibe as my first cruise, it just didn’t feel right. There was lots of talk on board that they were short staffed and had a lot of new crew. That was certainly my observation, they all seemed to be doing their best but not quite succeeding, I did the indoor golf each day, on one occasion nobody from the entertainment team turned up to run it, one of us checked with reception to be told “they are all in a meeting, it’s not going well”.

The other disappointment was the food and restaurant service, dinner was often 2.5 hours or even longer. On one occasion they substituted the promised prime rib for a lesser cut, which took more than an hour to arrive, the head waiter didn’t want to hear our view on this inexcusable lapse. We found out the next day they ran out of the prime rib which was marinated for 24 hours so changed it to a steak, obviously with no marinade. In any good restaurant there is no way the head chef would hood wink customers that way, a real disappointment. The dinners generally were hit and miss, breakfasts and lunches were generally a lot better.

Other than the above, the rest of the cruise was all as expected, beautiful staterooms and public spaces, great cruise director, good excursions, nice gym, small but friendly casino, excellent butler and room attendant. Entertainment was only just ok, nothing special.

Deluxe Verandah Suite

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Silver Dawn Cruise from $4,400

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.