Britannia Review

Pleasantly surprised by quality of the ship.

Review for the Caribbean Cruise on Britannia
Okraf
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

Just come home from the Christmas cruise and really enjoyed it.

Britannia was a pleasant surprise - a classy upgrade on our two previous trips on Azura. I was surprised how different the atrium felt (in a good way) when we were there, compared to how it looks in photos and videos - you can't get a feel for the ambience until you're there. It's smaller than it looks on screen, but there's actually more than enough seating, if that makes sense.

I know some people say you don't spend much time in your cabin, but Britannia has one of the best in-room TV/movie screens I've come across (up there with Princess) in 20 cruises. Lots of live British TV, box-sets, and movies you don't have to pay for!

Booked an obstructed balcony (lifeboat) but were upgraded to a standard balcony on floor above. Clean and tidy as expected if a little small, but the wardrobe area takes up some room but is far more useable on P&O and Princess than newer ships like MSC.

I thought the bathroom was quite poky, even for me at 5'7" and medium build. I am unusual in preferring a shower curtain to a door. I found the door a pain in the bum - all it did was get in the way. It was barely possible to open it and get round it to get in the shower.

The Samsung TV system was superb - lots of live TV channels (for Brits) and lots of boxsets and movies to watch - all for free!

Port Reviews

St. Lucia

Did a 'Cruise to the Pitons' trip on catamaran. Decent value and saw Marigot Bay along the way, stopping at a beach to have a swim off the boat, with lots of rum consumed on the way back.

Bonaire

Easy to walk off and get a taxi but beware - the info desk will tell you that Coco beach is a taxi-ride along the coast but, having been there 8 years ago we walked to it, only to find it no longer exists and has had a hotel built on it. You can pay to go in if you wish.

Lots of good snorkelling here and last visit we did a Harley Davidson tour which was excellent.

Curacao

Easy to walk off into town and have lunch at the Iguana cafe on the quayside before wandering around town.

Antigua

Jolly Beach excursion. About 5 hrs on the large beach including a lounger and umbrella. Beach was very nice.

St. Maarten

A favourite of ours mainly for shopping - we always visit Joe's Jewelry on Front Street for a chat with Max. Good clothes shopping too and a decent beach with bars along the front.

19 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Britannia Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.