Norwegian Getaway Review

Classic NCL--not a bad thing, at all

Review for the Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Norwegian Getaway
jjgoolsk
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

I wanted to shake the holiday season up, given that there are only so many years of turkey, christmas trees, & family drama left in me, so I booked this cruise. It ended up as a solo cruise (don't ask), & I found myself in spa balcony room. Here's my impressions (disclaimer: this was my 4th NCL cruise), & I hope you find them helpful, if not entertaining:

CABIN: Solid. A/C was kind of weak, but otherwise, I had no complaints. My room steward, Mark, was very accommodating. I struggle to find anything else to say about it, as (per the title) it was classic NCL. Note to those who are not familiar with balcony cabins: ensure you are reasonably clothed before throwing back the room curtains in the morning. There are people on the NCL Sun (didn't know it was docked next to us. Being a smaller ship, my cabin was JUST ABOUT across from their stern dining area) who may never be the same again).

FOOD: No problems here, either. I had a Chimichurri steak in Taste (one of the 2 main dining rooms, but I bet you already knew that) that you should try, if possible. Efficient service all around. I did Moderno, which was also good, but I cannot figure out the tip situation--they give you a bill. You've already paid for specialty dining tips, yet, there is a line labelled "TIP". What does one do? I threw a few $$ their way, as I didn't want an angry maitre'd chasing me out with a pepper grinder, or some such other blunt object. Buffet was the full contact dining that we have all known to love. I have little idea how these people can eat the grocery cart worth of food they have placed upon their plate, but who I am I to judge? Tropicana Dining Room is just a carbon copy of Taste/Savor. O'Sheehan's continues to be just-the-place for something greasy at 1AM, post a night of enjoying the beverage package. Their fish 'n chips was a cruise staple for me. Would have liked to get into Shanghai Noodle Bar, but it was PACKED whenever open. So, I cannot opine as to the venue

14 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Getaway Cruise from $316

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.