Westerdam Review

2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

I choose this cruise because I was looking forward to exploring and getting to know SE Asia. It was a terrible experience overall. The ports of call were in dirty, large cities where it was difficult to get out of the city areas without taking long bus rides. The tours were long, boring and we could barely understand the guides. When we went to the shore excursion desk, they didn't know anything about the ports of call other than the description on the website. The weather was boiling at each stop. Often, they didn't give us a lunch break on the tours, which is so crazy. I got food poisoning half way through the trip and missed 3 days, which I was ok with because I was so ill. The entertainment was super boring. Just like cocktail bar singing. There was nothing fun to do after dinner so we all just went to bed. I would say most people on the cruise had the same experience. SE Asia I think needs to be done by land because the large ports are not nice places to visit. Overall, I just cannot recommend this trip at all. The fitness classes were super boring and not enough. I love working out and I never worked out on the boat. The classes were extra $-the more active ones. I really wish I hadn't pushed my family to go on Holland America. It was my idea to see SE Asia and we saw nothing of interest. Have it all is a joke. You need to pay extra if you drink is over $11usd and except for the wifi, it was just a waste of $. We paid extra for the restaurants because the food in the main dining hall was horrible. Save your money!!

We paid extra for a room with a veranda. It was a nice room. Slightly old fashion but a good size and clean with two desks.

Port Reviews

Bali

Long bus ride without ANY Food and the temples were just ok. Tons of traffic. We were late getting back to the cruise.

Langkawi

We went to a Ritz Carlton for the day. It was a great experience. Nothing to see otherwise.

Kelang (Kuala Lumpur)

Dirty large city...nothing special.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Westerdam Cruise from $249

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.