Emerald Princess Review

2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023
Cabin: Balcony

What I loved about this cruise was that almost everybody on the ship were 55 or older. No kids and families took this two-week cruise in December. The weather was great. The ship atmosphere was relaxed. Our staff were friendly and attentive. I engaged with most people I came in contact with, asking them how many cruises they have been on, and of course where are they from. (Most everybody was from the extreme north of the U.S. and Canada. This cruise went to the Eastern Caribbean and since it was one of the few cruises that stops in Barbados we jumped to book this one. St Lucia was also an island I've never been too - I was excited to stop there (we booked the most expensive excursion on St. Lucia....because it took us up to the Ladera Resort for lunch overlooking the two Pitons on St Lucia. This resort is a $2,000.00 a night resort that I otherwise would never get to set foot in. Then afterwards a two-hour catamaran ride back to our ship was simply a phenomenal experience. Our tour guide ("M.G.") was so engaging and personable, hats off to his presentation during our entire day (it was a 6-hour excursion and M.G. spoke about the island of St Lucia, it's history and lifestyle living on the island the entire time - except during lunch he got a break).

Grenada was a surprise. We did not book an excursion there, but got off the ship and took a water taxi over to a local beach (where the Radisson Beach Resort was located). $5.00 each way per person. Beach Chairs with Umbrella was $10.00 per person. All in all the locals treated us all with respect. I think the beaches here, and in Barbados were the nicest.

All in all I'd do it again. Sticking to a 14-day cruise (which I believed would reduce the number of families on board) as I'm not looking for a cruise ship with 'activities' or water slides. My wife and I are both 65, but not yet old and decrepit. (We rarely used the elevators going up and down from Deck 5 to Deck 12 (where our stateroom was located). Also the Sun Deck (Deck 16) was just 3 flights above us....so it was a quick trip 'down the stairs' to use our stateroom for bathroom activities. I guess we just got lucky (where we booked our stateroom). Almost dead center between the Forward and the Center elevators/stairs; we could go either way without a long walk. (Only the Buffet was all the was aft, so we had to walk around the pools on Deck 15 if we didn't plan ahead)

Balcony

Our cabin was neat and made up twice a day. No complaints at all. (The Balcony decor/chairs appear old school perhaps). The new mattresses Princess recently replaced were very comfortable.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Emerald Princess Cruise from $585

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.