Explora I Review

Kids everywhere…at all times day and night

Review for the Western Caribbean Cruise on Explora I
springsvenska
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

We chose Explora because of their aspiration to be a lifestyle brand and I read other reviews saying children were not a problem on Explora - YMMV but wanted to let you know they were a problem on this cruise, and there are no policies in place that allow the staff to curb this issue (they recognise it as a problem but feel powerless to intervene). Perhaps it is just our sailing (29 December from San Juan) and it may not usually be an issue, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. EVERY childless couple we’ve talked to so far on board this cruise has complained about the kids….some more tolerant than I am but hey - I was led by other reviews here on cruise critic to believe that the Nautilus club was going to handle the kids. It does not, so I wanted to let those for whom this might be an issue know that it is worse here than other cruise lines we have been on. Please note: we have never had issues with children on Crystal, Seabourn, Regent, or Silversea. There are (according to guest services) 30 children on board right now with over 600 passengers. There is not one hot tub on board where kids are not running/swimming back and forth. There is not one pool where kids are not cannon balling and screaming. After four days of this I asked what the policy was on kids - the answer: they are allowed everywhere (said one staff member) - they are not allowed in one area (said another staff member). Spoiler alert: they were in that supposedly excluded area and nothing could be done about it. This is a New Year’s Eve cruise…on New Years Eve the dance floor was packed with kids from 2 years old to 15 years old. Charming, I’m sure, if you want that kind of vibe. We did not. God bless you if you’re Grandparents (we are not) - you will have an excellent time because your grandchildren will run all over the ship unchecked. The pickle ball and basketball court will be dominated by them. The restaurants will welcome them running around and disrupting other diners. Every single night so far (we have dined at Marble and co and Sakura and Emporium) the shrieking/ wailing of kids or babies has caused the four of us to leave the restaurant. I know I sound cranky but this was not what I signed up for. Seriously: a six or seven year old girl threw herself onto chairs and turned herself topsy turvey over couches and chairs in the lobby bar area on New Years Eve for over 40 minutes. Heaven knows where the parents were. There didn’t appear to be any adult supervision. Anyway, lovely ship…other flaws pale in comparison to the issue with 30 children ruining approx 500 other passengers’ enjoyment. I will NOT be going on Explora again unless I hear others reviews saying that they haven’t had their experiences ruined. If you are the 60 parents and maybe 120 grandparents that enjoyed this cruise - enjoy and put Explora on your favourites list. Write top rated reviews about how accommodating they were to your group of people aged two years old to 100… Unless I hear about some policy reform we will go elsewhere.

29 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Explora I Cruise from $2,698

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.