AmaBella Review

Stay away from AmaWaterways....

Review for Europe Cruise on AmaBella
egyptes
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023
Cabin: Outside Stateroom with Balcony

We cruised on the AmaBella to the Christmas Markets. This was my first river cruise. I have been on over 65 ocean cruises, traveled to 108 countries and all seven continents. I have been cruising since 1980 when I was 18 years old and took my first cruise. The pre-cruise portion with Ama was just ok. We were booked in a standard room at a nice hotel. The cruise portion is where it gets bad. We had booked a suite and the room was nice except we could not use the french balcony because it did not close properly which made the heat not function in our room. We went to the Chef's table on our second night of the 7 night river cruise and the food was cheap and bad. The main course was a brisket for the meat which was a fatty greasy cut of meat which I could not eat. The other coursed were not good. I was so surprised as having experienced several tasting menus and other Chef's tables, which were all great except this one. The staff on the ship were outstanding and did a great job. It was just they didn't seem to have what they needed to make things good. The cruise manager was a very nice but did not have the ability to fix problems and was given mis-information when we questioned why we were placed in economy on a flight that Ama booked for us as part of our post cruise to Istanbul. We always fly first class or business class and we booked the largest suite that the AmaBella had. We were even asked by the cruise manager if we booked the flight Istanbul ourselves since he was told that by the home office for AmaWaterways. I spent two hours forwarding him emails proving to him that Ama booked this flight which he could easily see when he read the emails. It was not his fault but he was powerless to fix our flight from economy to business class to Istanbul. We were able to upgrade at the airport at 6 a.m. the morning of our flight after we waiting for two hours in line to do this. Suites are usually booked for us and when we have booked suites in the past, the perks and other parts of the trip are planned and booked accordingly by the cruise line. NOT SO with AmaWaterways. The home office for AmaWaterways left us hanging all week and then sent an email after the fact, that they would somehow make this up to us. HOW? How would you make this up to us after we spent a week waiting on a solution only to be told there was nothing they would do. Shameful. Just shameful. The post three nights in Istanbul were at the Four Seasons and the hotel upgraded our room for us from (again) a standard room not a suite. Again the hotel did this for us not the cruise line. The hotel was great and we skipped all the tours that Ama provided as they were all cheap walking tours that could be purchased for a few dollars. We booked private tours and they were all wonderful. Ama crammed us in a very small mini van back to the airport at the end of the three days but the driver and guide were outstanding and did everything they could to help all of us. They were wonderful. We were asked before departing the AmaBella if we enjoyed our cruise as they had sent a bottle of wine to our suite a few nights before we were to depart with an apology note. We returned the wine to the staff at AmaWaterways as a bottle of wine would not make up for all the problems we had and the time we spend awaiting a resolution that was not to come. The emails we received during and after the trip last week look like they were possibly written by very young people with not much experience in communications, written communications that is. I was shocked that one of the emails came from a Vice President of air travel at AmaWaterways. I don't think I have seen writing like this since before high school. To say the least we were very disappointed. We spent well over $22,000 for this 14 day trip and it was not worth even a fourth of that. There are so many things I could go on and on about but I feel that AmaWaterways would not listen or even comprehend what someone booking a suite level cabin on their ship should receive. There were so many things. We met four gentlemen that had been on the same ship the week before and were doing a 14 night cruise. They said the week before had been great but they noticed a lot of things wrong on the week we were there. We really wanted to love river cruising but we did not. I am sure if we will try another cruise line or just go back to ocean cruises.

Response from SocialMediaA, Coordinator, Social Media

Dear guest, We sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you had with us. We appreciate you taking the time to document your concerns, as it gives us a chance to address any areas...

Outside Stateroom with Balcony

The cabin was beautiful except we could not use the french balcony as the door would not shut properly and that would mean our heat would not work in the room. The regular balcony was beautiful and spacious. The room was very well maintained by our cabin steward. The bathroom was beautiful except you could not let the shower water come close to the door of the shower or water would spew out onto the bathroom floor. We spoke with others about this on the ship and they all said they had the same problem in their showers.

Port Reviews

Budapest

This port was wonderful.

4 Helpful Votes
next review

Find an AmaBella Cruise from $2,499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.