Nieuw Statendam Review

10+ Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023
Cabin: Verandah Stateroom

I needed to go to the US and found this transatlantic for a good price and the timing that I needed. My first Holland America cruise 6 months prior on the Rotterdam was disappointing, but I gave HA another try. This cruise was much better. The atmosphere was much more relaxed (I'm assuming this stems from management down), and the crew seemed less uptight too. There weren't constant announcements about handwashing, which I also appreciated.

Club Orange dining, the buffet, the burger place, Dutch Cafe and room service were great overall. Holland America has one of the best buffets. I found myself sometimes going to it for dinner instead of Club Orange, as this way I could try multiple things and not have to wait for each course to be served.

The staff at the Lido and in Club Orange were great- especially Dewa in Club Orange (he has a gift with people and truly wants to please; he also remembers special requests and makes one truly enjoy their meal) and a humble young man named Teewarut at the Lido. I asked if there was any more of a particularly good dessert, and Teewarut got someone to cover his station and went from deck 9 to deck 2 and brought me back what I asked for. That is what I call going the extra mile!

Verandah Stateroom

Port Reviews

Alicante

A beautiful port with much to see within walking distance

Malaga

A beautiful port with beautiful cathedrals, art museums, etc. For a small fee, there were buses that would take you into the city from where the ship docked. After that, there was much to see and do within walking range.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Of course, there's much to see and do in Rome. I stayed in an area called Lido di Ostia, which is near the ocean and was reasonably priced. It took about 45 minutes via train to get to the Collisseum. To get to the port, I think it was approximately 1.5 hours via train. This is much more cost effective than purchasing a transfer to the port via the cruiseline. Train travel wasn't hard, and I enjoyed this means of transportation in Italy.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Nieuw Statendam Cruise from $499

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.