Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review

1,332 reviews

Lovely, but not as special as I expected

Review for Transatlantic Cruise on Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Dalecote
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023

Perhaps it is me, but as a seasoned cruiser who has been with many cruise lines, including the Carnival group, I had never been with Cunard. I just expected more than average, but I have had better service and better food on some other ships.

We did a transatlantic 7 day crossing from NYC to Southampton with a sheltered balcony cabin on Deck 5. The bed was fabulous, the best I have had on a ship and our Steward was lovely. The daytime talks were very interesting, but there was nothing much else to keep passengers going through the day. The program looked full, but things were not as they seemed! An example is the craft meeting. On other ships there would have been a demonstration and crafting activity, on QM2 there were 4 ladies knitting by themselves in the corner of the bar. The walk round the deck meant go and meet fellow passengers, no staff involved at all. It was mid December and beautiful Christmas decorations gradually appeared all over the ship but the singing in the atrium consisted of singing the same Christmas songs two or three times. The two girls and the pianist were doing their best! The evening shows were good but we have seen better.

We prefer to eat our meals in the restaurant rather than the buffet, we don’t over eat that way! The waiting staff were great, but over $19 for a glass of Rioja was a bit steep. On one occasion we had been waiting a long time for our meal and the waiter apologised, adding that there was a problem going on in the kitchen! On another occasion my wife was brought the wrong meal and I was brought the wrong meal twice! Other people on our table also received the wrong food.

Lovely cabin, lots of storage but wind noise through the door.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise from $299

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.