Viking Star Review

nad-val
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023

The ship appearance, crew attitude, pianist performance were great. The theater we visited once. There were long lines to get in.

We were not too impressed with the variety of food in the cafeteria (World cafe). They also did not extend lunch beyond 2:30 on port days, so you missed the main lunch then. The hamburger counter had to be used instead if you took an excursion.

The included excursions were OK, nothing out of the ordinary.

My wife and I booked what they call a penthouse veranda cabin because on a previous (our first) cruise with them (all Viking ships are the same) we took a plain veranda and it was really small. The price was $30K originally, but there was a discount of $10K, plus a couple hundred for repeat travel, so that was pretty good. Then at the last moment Viking offered an upgrade to a junior suit for 2K and we took it.

The cabin turned out to be wheel chair accessible and that was a big drawback for us: sofa, extra table were removed. Single sink and curtains around the shower instead of glass in the bath. Had to put a bunch of towels on the floor around shower to reduce water spill. On the plus side the cabin was spacious and this level included 24 hr wash/dry clean. We asked for extra coffee table, arm chairs and an office chair - I do some work off the ship.

Speaking of work, the internet on the ship was amazing, I never but never had it that way before and we traveled a lot on many ships. It was almost like at home. There were occasional disconnects and slowdowns, nothing to speak off. Despite their warning, streaming worked pretty well. And of course unlimited minutes were included. Strangely enough the TV channels were down most of the cruise: fine in Polynesia only out of Australia (?).

The electric outlets in the cabin are a mix of American and European. I carry an adapter, 2 extension cords and 2 splitters to satisfy the many devices we use: 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 kindles, clock, bluetooth earphones, 2 electric toothbrushes). I also have a 220/110 transformer for the toothbrushes but did not have to use it.

1 Helpful Vote
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Star Cruise from $2,799

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.