Nautica Review

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Nautica
MrsM.
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Nov 2023

In May 2022, my husband and I along with 4 others in our group, put deposits down on what I thought would be a cruise of a lifetime. So I thought. Barcelona to Dubai with visits to Israel and Egypt was what sold us. Fast-forward to 2023 and this cruise itinerary was basically scrapped including Israel, Egypt, Jordan & Oman (and rightfully so because of the war.) However, Oceana replaced these ports with ones that we had already visited. Our travel agent then when to his rep from Oceana and asked if there was any recourse. In October, the Oceana rep came back to my travel agent, in writing, telling him that we would be given a credit towards another cruise; a cruise to be taken by the end of 2025. We were told that we had until November 30, 2023 to decide on a future cruise. We weren’t crazy about the option, but were ready to take it. Not even one day later, Ocean came back to my travel agent reneging on the offer, and to cancel the cruise would have meant losing a significant amount of money. How is that even possible? How do you promise your client something in writing and then, without hesitation, take at option away in writing. And to boot, they now told us that we would be having 9 straight days at sea. No compensation. Obviously, were extremely disappointed but carried on and boarded the Nautica on November 18, 2023. We thought that once we were on board, there would be some kind of ‘perk’ for all of the changes. Well, we were wrong. Zero compensation whatsoever. When we couldn’t dock in Athens because of the weather, once again, we thought that there would be some sort of compensation, but once again, Oceana decided not to address it. We were told that we wouldn’t be stopping in Athens and that was it. No compensation even for repeat Oceana clients. Zero. This similar situation happened on another cruise, and the company stepped up and gave each passenger a portion of the port fees for the port that was not visited.

One evening, upon returning to our cabin, a note was on our bed telling us about ‘pirate protocol’ as were going to be navigating through dangerous waters for 4 days while we were at sea. There was never any mention of this prior to the cruise or even when it was mandatory for us to watch the safety video sent by Oceana prior to cruising. So, every evening at dusk, the drapes had to be drawn and they did they best to keep the ship in darkness. This caused me a great deal of distress, along with other passengers. At one point, during the 4 days, a small boat did approach our ship. At no point, did the captain even try to explain why this boat approached until I sent the captain a note kindly asking him to, perhaps, keep passengers better informed. The captain did address this at his noon announcement the next day but by that time, many passengers were stressed.

The fact that we sailed with only half the passengers and a full crew only infuriated passengers more when we were told that we could only dine in the restaurants 4 times during the 21 days at sea, 9 of those days being straight days at sea. We had to beg to get extra reservations, when restaurants were almost empty.

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Nautica Cruise from $1,614

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.