Valiant Lady Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023
Desk area, tablet
Cruise terminal, as we were boarding
Dessert menu
Colossal seafood extravaganza at The Wake. It is an upcharge menu item, but it is outstanding and shared among the table.
Pajama Party with the Diva
Pool at the Sailaway part
Gunbae food and drink menu
Dorade fish at The Wake
In the elevator
My bed, blinds, and cabin
Gunbae meat and seafood grilling
Desserts
Lick Me Till Ice Cream -- amazing ice cream
Entrance to the Manor

Where do I start? This was my first cruise on Virgin Voyages, but not my first overall cruise. An adult-only cruise was something I was looking for. A cruise that included Wi-Fi throughout the ship. A cruise that included free fitness classes. The cruise included basic non-alcoholic beverages. No main dining room, no buffet! All 20 restaurants were included, including all specialty restaurants. This cruise sounded like a dream come true and was one where the food was something foodies should experience.

The Valiant Lady is designed differently than other cruise ships. Its features are different. There are two pool areas, and neither one is very big. This is a party ship, but it has its own identity, with cruisers ranging in age from 18 (the minimum age who can board) up to those in their 70s and 80s, and maybe older. I'm not sure if there is a median age, but I would say 40-60, but it could be off entirely. What was evident was that everyone there was interested in having fun, enjoying the nightlife and parties, and the uniqueness of what was designed for this cruise line. Having an amazing all-out sailaway part on the pool deck and then a Pajama Party on the top deck, back of the ship, was also incredibly unique. Then, on the Wednesday evening of our cruise, they had Scarlet Night, with passengers and crew decked out in red, from a splash of red to all decked out in red from head to toe! The party started in the roundabout area mid-ship and then moved out to the pool area on deck 15 for an all-out party stretching well into the evening. If you weren't soaked and partied out, the dance party continued in The Manor, another entertainment facility onboard, where we danced the night away with the DJ in an awesome facility equipped with a bar as well as an upper section for viewing and drinking as a bar existed on the upper level, too!

Every entertainment and/or nightclub had a bar. There were very unique aspects of this ship, like the social club with TVs for sporting events and an area where they served hot dogs, popcorn, and other snacks plus boozy milkshakes, and there was a game room and arcade, from shuffleboard to air hockey, foosball, and various old school arcade games. Everything was free to use. Unlike other cruise lines, when you have to put money in to play the games, that isn't the case on Virgin.

What a great cabin! It seemed more significant than most other lines, NCL being the exception. However, the hammock chair was unique, and I spent most of my time on my balcony, lying and relaxing in that hammock. Also, the shower, the raindrop shower, and also the wand. What a great and soothing shower. The shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel were nice touches in the shower. There was plenty of storage, plenty of outlets and USB ports, as well as lighting. The tablet controls everything, and the different moods with lighting and closing of shades/blinds were a nice touch. Virgin thought of it all; the touches were unique and very lovely.

Port Reviews

Bimini

We rented golf carts and toured the island before going to the beach club. By the time we arrived at the beach club, there were no chairs available. There was also limited shade, and I got burned very easily. So I wasn't very happy there. The food was good, and the drinks were flowing, but more shade and more chairs are needed.

Puerto Plata

On my first visit here, I took a group tour separate from the ship. Got a good overview of the city and countryside, a nice visit to the Christ the Redeemer statue, and a fantastic view of the city both from above and on the cable car ride down. I would have loved to have had more shopping time in the city and smaller quaint shops. I was happy to have an empanada on the street; it was delicious. I was also looking for a food tour for the day in Puerto Plata, but I could not find one. All in all, have a nice day, and I look forward to going back another time.

San Juan

I finally visited the Bacardi factory in San Juan. Of all the times I've visited, this was my first time here. We did a group rum tasting, and several new cruise friends joined us. The outside of the factory was interesting, and the rum tasting was excellent. All in all, a good day. The Uber ride back with other cruise family members was inexpensive. I don't recommend taking an Uber alone as it was $40, and returning it was less than $10/person. There were 9 of us. You can pay for and take a ferry, but I don't believe the ferry leaves anywhere close to where the cruise ships are docked.

St. Croix

I made my day here. I exited the ship and started walking and shopping at the little stands just beyond the cruise dock. Then, I walked over to a nice shaded park, sat, and people-watched. Eventually, I met a couple and walked over to the adjacent beach. We found that lounge chairs were $30 per chair, which was expensive since we only planned to be there for about an hour. Rainbow Beach is a little nicer and about a mile down the other direction. I was told it would have been about a 15-20 minute walk. Maybe when I return to St. Croix to stay on the island for a week or a long weekend. It's a nice island with good food and friendly people; I loved it and can't wait to return. I imagine on days without cruise ships that, it is a sleepy island that runs on island time. I highly recommend doing your own thing or taking an island tour, heading to the beach, grabbing a meal, and enjoying life!

10 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Valiant Lady Cruise from $708

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.