Majestic Princess Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023
Cabin: Mini-Suite with Balcony

My husband, our 15-year-old son, and I all took an early August 7-day cruise from Vancouver, up the inside passage to Alaska, stopping in Glacier Bay. We then continued on with a 7-day Princess-organized land tour and followed that with 2 more nights on our own in Anchorage before heading home.

I chose Princess because I went to Alaska on Princess in 1989 and appreciated that they offered guided land tours so we could see more of the state, and that they had access to sail into Glacier Bay. Princess also tends to stay in each port longer than some of the other cruise lines (be sure to check out port times when booking your trip). My earlier trip had included a similar itinerary, but back then you could go to Nome and Kotzebue and most of the land travel was via airplane or train. These days the land travel seems mostly to be by bus, which I was dreading, but which turned out to be quite nice (super comfy buses, great driver, lovely scenery, etc.).

I will say we splurged on the shore excursions and realize not everyone can do that. If you can, most of these are once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that are well worth the price. I was pleasantly surprised that in almost every case we were on small group tours, despite being on a very large ship. I never felt like we were one among 100's herded onto buses. All of our shore excursions were small and intimate.

Mini-Suite with Balcony

We had a mini suite (M1) cabin which had a sofa that pulled out into a small bed for our son. It was a good size room with a nice size balcony (although I wish the balcony had 3 chairs instead of 2). We were on the port side. The room was clean, service was great, the staff were helpful. We got free room service. New to Princess for this cruise was a special dining area for those in mini suites so we never needed to make reservations and could just go down whenever we wanted for dinner.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Majestic Princess Cruise from $168

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.