Viking Sigyn Review

1st Viking Cruise
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023

We had heard about river cruises from friends and were scheduled for one in early 2020, however, the Covid pandemic and several medical procedures on my wife caused us to delay our cruise until this year. We were very pleased with pour cruise. The ship was terrific, the food outstanding, and the crew were absolutely wonderful. I'm guessing the hospitality displayed by the crew is a Viking trademark. I've heard it far exceeds the way passengers are treated on other cruise lines. Rene, our Program Director was particularly noteworthy. We enjoyed the included excursions plus those we paid for. A shout out to Malcolm who was our guide on the Colmar Battlefield tour. He was engrossing, interesting, and knowledgeable. As a history major and former Marine I really appreciated how emotionally connected he was with the battle and actions by such individuals as Audie Murphy. I don't believe this excursion gets some of the press that other tours get. We felt the stateroom was more than adequate and given the temperatures, felt there was no need to a balcony. I do believe the step up into the bathroom is a trip hazard and should be better visibly marked. The room was always clean and comfortable. I think the ship should live stream more TV channels if possible. I could not believe the quality of food in the dining room. It was better than any US Navy ships I deployed on over a 37 year career in the Marines. My one big criticism was the money I felt we lost on excursions when we switched from the Romantic Danube to the Rhine Getaway cruise. Even after signing up for all the excursions we wanted and buying the tip package we still had money left over which we wished we could have used in the ship's store for example. A second criticism, we opted to leave a day early so as not to miss the sailing date due to weather of airline issues. Since Viking set up our flights, I felt they could have provided transportation from the airport to hotel and the hotel to the ship. We specifically stayed in the hotel used by Viking to facilitate what we thought was a no brainer for Viking. We hope to go on another Viking River cruise in the future.

We were on the main deck, small window but it was more than adequate and made good use of the space. Especially the space under the bed for baggage.

next review

Find a Viking Sigyn Cruise from $1,999

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.