Norwegian Viva Review

Beautiful ship horrible everything else!

Review for the Bahamas Cruise on Norwegian Viva
Nick Wells
10+ Cruises • Age 30s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2023
Cabin: Balcony

I’ve always cruised budget cruise lines such as Carnival in the past, but wanted to experience a “luxury” cruise… So, I booked a cruise on the brand new Norwegian Viva. I’d like to be clear that this is a beautiful brand new ship, but that’s where the excitement stops. The food is terrible (think bland w/ zero flavor) and hours for complimentary food choices including the “Seaside Grill”’ are extremely limited including stopping pretty much all food options after 10:30pm. If you want something to eat after that point you’re left with room service which offers expensive (even worse) food at expensive prices including a $12 “convenience fee”. The amenities on the ship including the go-kart track, water slides, etc. all have a 265 lb. weight limit that they enforce by the fraction of a pound, so don’t expect to do those if you’re the average American male. The entertainment options are limited and over sold, so expect standing room only at shows like Beetlejuice and stand up comedians unless you arrive an hour early. Quiet rooms? Nope. I’ve had to listen to the music from the Viva Nightclub shake my room every night of the cruise including Latin Night with the host screaming “Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah…” along with the music until past 1am. And if all that wasn’t bad enough… you have the service. The absolute worst Guest Services department I’ve ever experienced on any of my 12+ cruises. They will coldly stare you down while not providing any real assistance with any matter of concern. Even if it’s completely ruining your trip.

A few more considerable mentions — don’t trust the NCL app to plan your cruise as it can’t be trusted. It shows all shows as sold out or reservations required even when they don’t. And the internet access is terrible. I was told that I’d get FREE Wi-Fi as part of the promotion I received when I booked the cruise, but upon arriving on the ship was told that my booking agent had found a different package which didn’t include those “Free at Sea” perks. Surprise!

I’m extremely unhappy with this cruise and would give it negative stars if I could. Step it up NCL or I won’t be the last to leave such a fine review.

Balcony

Spacious, but only because I was placed (to my dismay) in a handicap accessible room. New.

10 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Viva Cruise from $849

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.