Azura Review

Competitive price, average, or below in every other aspect

Review for Canary Islands Cruise on Azura
lifetime cruise fanatic
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023

Booked a balcony cabin for a trip around the canaries and up to Madeira fly cruise reasonably well organised apart from a booking for two people and a flight for only one. As this was a fly cruise booked directly with P and O it was only through my diligence that I spotted the error, four hours on the phone, trying to get through to sort very apologetic, but nothing else in response. The balcony cabin was spacious, but sadly showing its age over the seven days as I failed to follow the correct procedure my cabin was serviced once, I became my own cabin steward taking the items daily from the trolley, ably assisted by the guy who is meant to be doing his job. The restaurant food was average nothing stand out I’m afraid on one occasion the meal was not edible or hot enough to be served under food and hygiene regulations Another night We were entertained by waiters falling out with each other and most definitely handbags at dawn were drawn. The buffet fared much better food was hot and plentiful with courteous and pleasant staff, but at times it was the rugby scrum. We were assigned freedom dining, but the on-board app to request a table wasn’t working, so it was a turn up and hope for the best situation, often leaving with a bleep in our hands for when a table was available. Entertainment was varied across the ship. The main show performers, an individual male and female performer and a girl rock group although it was varied so was their talent and material. There was a comedian who we saw three times in the week that was pretty good. The shore excursions are overpriced for what was on offer and honestly you may have just walked around the towns or did your own thing . speaking to the staff. They acknowledged the reduced offering by P and O and didn’t seem over happy about their working terms and conditions they were happy to say that they were off to work for virgin for a 40 % pay rise six month contract duration and not nine has given by P and 0. Staff are also frustrated by the contract labour which have been bought on board to reduce costs. We didn’t have a drinks Package drinks seemed reasonably priced £9 for a glass of wine £3.50 for a small Coke or tonic water ?passengers who had not cruised before thought the holiday was good attracted by the low price, anyone who had cruised before felt as we did it was all okay nothing outstanding in any respect. Would I go again well for the price and sun the answer would be possibly yes for the overall cruise experience Sadly, it’s a no from us and many others we spoke to.

For a comparative price cruise I would go with Marella for the quality of the experience all-inclusive drinks package included in the price, the food, but most of all the quality of the staff, other than that, I think it’s a matter of digging a bit deeper into your pocket to get a better experience. I can see that carnival are using this cruise line as their entry level to cruising for the masses. Sadly, the reputation of this old and revered company is not being respected.

Tired and dated poor service from the room, Steward you need to follow the rules to get your room, made up or catch the staff and ask them to do it. Although spacious the overhang on the balcony from the cabin above, gave very little, or no sun throughout the day, Bathroom, small, dated et cetera

Port Reviews

Fuerteventura

Enjoyed walking up the main street and excellent shopping facility in the new complex ideal for gifts items not brought but needed. The beach was the best part right by the ship.

La Palma

Lovely port, quaint and authentic a good experience if you want to wonder enjoy local café eat Tapas and enjoy local wine. Very nice walk along the prom.

Madeira (Funchal)

Good old Madeira, been on the cruise circuit for many a year. Best value cable car and tourist toboggan ride, then do the open top bus. Get to the cable car as soon as you can. We have been to the top them back by 10 am. At this time the queues were down the street and two hours long

Tenerife

Santa Cruz pleasant port visit. Enjoy the main shopping street the African women’s market on the walk along the seafront a few bargains to be had in the local shops.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Azura Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.