Norwegian Spirit Review

My wife DIED onboard the Spirit! They way I have been treated has been HORRENDOUS!!!!

Review for Alaska Cruise on Norwegian Spirit
Eglennon
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Aug 2023

My wife contracted Covid aboard the Norwegian Spirit during cruise of Alaska and Hawaii. She died aboard the Norwegian Spirit on Friday, September 8, 2023. She died in the ship's infirmary one day after being admitted for breathing difficulty. The treatment I received from the crew and the cruise line has been absolutely deplorable. It is evil. It was mind-boggling and made the worst experience of my life a living nightmare. The lack of cooperation on the part of the crew regarding questions about when my wife would be taken off the ship, what accommodations would be made for me to end my cruise early -- basic questions were met with contempt. For example, "When will my wife be taken off the ship," was answered by, "How would we know?? You haven't told us what funeral home she is to be taken to??" Now, how would I know what funeral homes there are in Kauai -- if she were even going to be taken off the ship in Kauai (our first port in Hawaii after she died in transit from Alaska). I asked what would be the protocols for taking her off the ship. Where will she be taken. "How do we know?" Will there be an autopsy? "Did you make arrangements for one?" Keep in mind that I was at sea with no internet nor cell phone connection. We were 1,000 miles from the closest land. How could I have made arrangements??? The ship's internet was down. The sea-to-land satellite phone did not work. And, as far as an autopsy was concerned, it's Hawaiian state law that anyone dead brought to shore must be autopsied. Surely SOMEBODY on the cruise line had to know that!! My credit card was charged $25,701.35 for the medical charges. They do NOT submit to insurance. I was totally unprepared for that. I was NEVER given an itemized statement of the medical charges. I asked for it, and they said they didn't have one. Then how did they come up with this figure??? I had to go to the infirmary and stand threateningly to get them to photocopy their HANDWRITTEN notes that passed for a hospital bill. I submitted this to my wife's insurance, but they said they needed an actual bill with a diagnostic code before they could proceed. She died in September. This is DECEMBER! I have YET to get any kind of actual bill to submit. Then I got a cockamamie letter saying I have to grant the ship permission to disclose information on her illness. IN DECEMBER! Moreover, I am being hassled to pay the bill out of my own pocket WHILE THEY ARE STONEWALLING ME ON THE INFORMATION I NEED TO SUBMIT TO INSURANCE! This is absolutely the most horrible treatment I have ever had by any business in my life! I absolutely cannot travel on Norwegian again. This is sad because I had liked Norwegian and had a history of good service. But this whole situation is a LIVING NIGHTMARE, and there is no end in sight, as I can ascertain. NORWEGIAN HAS BEEN ATROCIOUS, HORRIBLE, REPREHENSIBLE ON THIS WHOLE NIGHTMARISH SITUATION!! My wife died, and the cruise line is harassing me and stonewalling me. Unbelievable!!

57 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Spirit Cruise from $996

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.