Norwegian Getaway Review

amyrosebud
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jun 2023

I spent my first Transatlantic cruise onboard the Getaway. I was already familiar with the ship, having taken her a few years ago for an 8-Day adventure through Scandinavia, Russia & the Baltic, which was incredible. The ship is quite comfortable and this time I was a bit nervous, as my bid for a balcony room was not accepted and for the first time in my half dozen cruises, I was in steerage (5th deck). Boy was I wrong to be concerned. I got the best sleep, no noise, no rocking being so close to the water line. I even had a "porthole," which ended up being a giant square window you could sit in! The crew were so kind and courteous. Each cabin steward greeted me on my walk from my room ALL THE WAY up to the 12th deck for breakfast. I only allowed myself the stairs for the duration of the cruise to get my exercise and boy did that work! I left the cruise weighing less than I did coming aboard, and that is a rarity with all the delightful delicacies. The only thing I did not prepare for were the nightly time changes, losing an hour just about every day. That did mess with my sleep pattern, and if I had been even the slightest bit prepared, I would have known that crossing that expanse is going to mean crossing a few time zones. Even with that, it was a wonderful departure from my hectic work life. I do NOT ever get the internet package, as those who I have cruised with before said the one thing they would improve would be the internet connectivity, and I want pure down time. My one complaint is the internet service. If you have zoom meetings to attend while on board, you are going to have a difficult time. A friend I met had to leave his video camera off and it didn't always connect or stay connected. It's pretty sad to be huddled on deck 7 when we get into port with all the staff trying to get a land wifi signal (most ports have them). Other than that, the cruise was spectacular. I lived in the therma spa. Well worth the cost (I forgo the drinks package to get the spa and it is 100% worth it). The waiters in the dining room knew our drink orders after two evenings. The only other thing I wish there was more of are comfy, quiet spaces to curl up and read. I spent a lot of time on the outside deck on a patio couch, but those were often being used. The entertainment was fabulous. I went to see Burn the Floor twice. The musical talent is top notch, being able to watch a Broadway medley with all the stars from The Million Dollar Quartet. Suffice to say I love it so much, I am heading back onboard the Getaway again in January for another warm weather escape. After trying Royal Caribbean and Carnival, I am officially a Norwegian girl.

I've always had at least an ocean view or balcony and have loved each of them. I am trying an inside solo cabin this time, with access to the solo lounge, so I will report back after this trip in January.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Getaway Cruise from $328

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.