• Newsletter

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Nov 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Balcony

Chose Princess because I had a fabulous Princess cruise in 2010. Not so much on this one. I guess Covid ruined Princess too…??

FOOD: Every single meal in the dining room was made by Chef Blandy McBland. Even the few curry dishes were bland! Menu was disappointing-- mostly typical, uninteresting American dishes I can make at home, but not seasoned very well. All the steaks were undercooked, all the chicken and fish was dry and overcooked. Few if any gluten-free options at the buffet or in the dining room (and, yes, they were able to make some dishes gluten-free for me in the dining room but still very limited options). Even when I was pretty sure the item was likely gluten-free (like mashed potatoes), there was no "GF" label to let me know.

SPECIALTY DINING: Treated myself to a steak dinner at the Crown Grill specialty restaurant (once). Ordered a medium-rare filet mignon. It arrived blood red rare. Sent it back. Second steak arrived; again, it was definitely rare. I could tell just by how soft it was when I pressed on it before cutting into it. Sent it back. THIRD STEAK ARRIVED RARE!! OMG!!! Sent it back. By now all my sides are cool, so when the 4th steak arrived- you guessed it- rare, I gave up and ate around the edges. Chef came to apologize and his excuse was that it was “Texas steak.” (We cruised out of Galveston, so, yeah.) It was a filet mignon 1” to 1 1/4” thick. I’m no chef but I can cook a 1” thick steak to medium-rare perfection at home, so I couldn’t wrap my head around why a STEAK restaurant couldn’t manage it. 4 times! My companion ordered medium and hers came out rare as well! Unbelievable incompetence. Seriously, do they not own a meat thermometer?!

Deluxe Balcony

14 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Regal Princess Cruise from $252

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.