Valiant Lady Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

VIRGIN VOYAGE REVIEW

The last cruise I took was a 14-day Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona to Istanbul in 1995 (23 years ago). Therefore, given the huge changes in the cruise industry with a new ship being built that will carry 10,000 passengers I would clearly classify myself as a newbie.

Virgin Voyages is a relatively new cruise line started by Richard Branson. It currently has three ships, with the fourth to be delivered in the near future. They typically carry 2,700 passengers, so should be considered a large ship, but not huge by today’s standards. On our 14-day cruise on the Valiant Lady from Barcelona to Miami, with stops in Ibiza, Malaga, and Funchal (Azores), we had 8 days completely at sea. In the industry parlance this is considered a repositioning cruise when the cruise lines move their ships from the Mediterranean to Caribbean (based out of Miami) for the winter season. I was told there were only about 1,600 on this crossing. Unlike a lot of other cruise lines, Virgin promotes a different format, by skipping the central dining rooms and Main Street atmosphere for a more eclectic format of theme restaurants and food outlets, and an emphasis wellness.

• While I thought we would go crazy with the small balcony cabin for fourteen days, it was actually fine. While we put in a bid for a larger cabin and/or suite, apparently, we never got close to winning a bid. I’m still rather confused about Virgin’s pricing model(s).

• The bathroom was really tiny, and the shower was a little larger than a phone booth, but the overhead rain-shower head and separate shower wand actually worked well. However, given the size of some of the people we saw on board, I can’t imagine how they fit in those tiny showers.

9 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Valiant Lady Cruise from $516

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.