• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Ocean View Balcony

Lots of odd things brought this cruise down starting with the rather strange layout of the ship, the change to main dining times with both being brought forward 30 minutes, the very noisy main dining rooms thanks to the DD layout and of course the redirection of the ship due to hurricane Tammy. Boarding at Southampton was efficient as ever, Vigo was wet, I stayed on in Lisbon, the Canary Island stops were interesting, redirected to Halifax rather than Bermuda everyone did their best but getting off the ship in New York was a disaster and the cruise line sourced return flight back to the UK was not much better.

Dining, which I know worries a lot of people, with the reduced menu had a lost of repeats rather than the unique daily menus I have had on previous transatlantic crossing. A lot of the everyday items also appeared and I just about managed to find something to eat on it every day, though I did see one or two couples walk out after being handed a menu. The rather low ceilings made meal times rather noisy compared to the three tier effort on say a Freedom class.

As I mentioned above getting on at Southampton was easy but getting off at New York terrible. To explain on arrival in New York we were delayed by hours getting off and the process had at least two halts as the ship allowed a virtual free for all with no checking on the numbers issued. With a 7.30pm flight I had booked an after cruise tour with airport drop off but was trapped in a massive line first to just get off the ship and the same again to go through immigration, there seemed to be only nine or ten officers for the entire ship. When we got finally to the buses we found the tour buses mixed with the airport shuttles and no thought of something sensible like having them in tour number order. Leaving much later than expected our tour was further shortened by a couple with an earlier than recommended flight, the ships excursion desk had told them that it didn't matter.

Ocean View Balcony

it was okay as rooms go but not sure about the shower as the door of it is almost touching the bathroom door when open and there is little room to get out and shut the shower door. A sliding door would have been better than a hinged one on the shower.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Anthem of the Seas Cruise from $287

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.