MSC Grandiosa Review

6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

Sailed from Barcelona, fixed rate taxi fare of 39 euros from El Pratt for the four of us and cases (same for return trip). Approximately 5 minute wait for check in which went smoothly then it was onto the ship. As one of my sons has a Gluten intolerance our first mission was to check the assigned restaurant (19:00 sitting deck 6) had the info we sent through. We were told that our breakfasts and lunches would be at the Purple Crab on deck 5 which we visited and had lunch. One of the managers dealt with my son and each day (if needed) they prepared a lunchbox for my son to collect when we had breakfast. Bit patchy on first/second day in regards to getting the Gluten menu but by third day onwards every time we went to breakfast or lunch we never had to say a word but sitting would be at a different table with different staff each day. Evening dinner was great, table for the four of us despite only 2 of us having a drink package and Rama (spelled Rayma) dealt solely with my son and very caring, often would see him at breakfast too! Eddy and his assistant dealt with the 3 of us and Eddy was really attentive, friendly and funny. Every night he would offer and/or bring an extra main of lamb, beef usually a dish none of us had on that occasion then similarly for dessert often brought extra ice creams out. I had two entrees on some occasions. Food was very good but wouldn't rate it as "wow". Eddy always finished the evening by bringing out liqueur drinks for me and my eldest.

Our cases were in our rooms by 14:00 (embarked approx. 12:30), we went cheap with inside cabins. Only noise were a few elephants running up the corridors (probably 5 - 8 year olds) but wasn't frequent. Only issue we had is I ordered a special GF cake which I presumed would be delivered to cabin first or second day but no sign, only when I went to Guest Services was informed that I needed to fill in a form to say when/where to deliver it. Would have been handy had I been given this info when ordered it pre-cruise. Supposed to get delivered next morning but manager in our DR that evening asked if we'd like it at dinner the next night so said yes then it turned up at lunchtime next day at the assigned cabin so that went a little wrong but large lovely cake so my son was pleased. Two days later one third of cake eaten it vanished from sons cabin while we were out, took 3 days going to Guest Services to sort it but by then too late to give new cake so eventually got a refund which had to go through finances on shore but had come off the bill next morning (disembarkation day).

Ship was very clean, huge and busy but could always find a bar/lounge when we wanted to sit somewhere. Service could be slow at times, worst was in Sky Lounge but ok when could get the attention of staff. Had similar issue at bar by Guest Services but they were swamped due to muster drill (bars etc. cease operating during drill) just ending and people were queue jumping. Slight moan after we waited patiently but after that time/day Francisco ensured we had great service and often made up experimental cocktails for us.

Cleaning could have been a little better but on the whole very good and serviced twice a day, we emptied the fridge/mini bar so we could put our own drinks/food in there then placed mini bar contents back in end of cruise. Bed was as a double so we had them split, storage for cases beneath. Wardrobe ok but could have done with more drawers (only 2) and/or shelf. Ships cam on tv only one view and looked like lens needed cleaning. Decent sized tv. Bathroom big enough for one person at a time and shower was nice size, water pipingly hot. Plenty of room just for the two of us with the Fantastica experience so took advantage of the free breakfast room service and picked our cabin numbers.

Port Reviews

Barcelona

I live in Spain so most convenient to get to for cruise and meet family. Not serviced directly by bus or metro from El Pratt so taxi easiest option at currently 39 euro fixed rate which shared by 4 was good value.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Grandiosa Cruise from $129

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.