• Newsletter

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Carnival Excel Suite
Traveled with children

I sailed On Carnival Mardi Gras four months prior to the cruise that this comment is based upon. As outstanding as the June cruise was my October cruise was the opposite. I have sailed with Carnival for more than twenty years, so I am well aware of both the good and not so good sides of choosing to sail on Carnival cruise ships. We normally enjoy Carnival, however this cruise we the second worst sailing that we have experienced. The production shows we terrible, I actually fell asleep during one show. Our Excel Suite came with a concierge who proved to be completely worthless. Though we were in a premium room which guaranteed that we would get reservations in the onboard premium restaurants, this promise was untrue. We were unable to dine where we wished throughout the cruise. Our concierge even took entire days off during our cruise. Our daughter was once again unable to ride the Bolt coaster for the second week long Mardi Gras cruise in four months due to the ride being closed most of the time. My wife and daughter paid $80 to take a cake baking class. The cake was pre-baked and after they decorated the cake they were not allowed to keep it. They were told that their cake would be fed to the crew. Two days later my daughter celebrated her birthday without a cake. We were denied participation in "elite" player casino events though we have donated a small fortune to Carnival casinos during the past decade. Our premium wifi was often not functioning. My daughter played with her phone settings attempting to get the wifi we paid for to work and in the process incurred over $1,000 in international service fees. Even the Carnival Hub onboard wifi did not work well. During one stretch we were unable to contact our teenage daughter for seven hours, very worrisome. Our luggage did not arrive at our room until the middle of the first night despite being "priority". Attempting to contact Carnival after the cruise is impossible! They no longer have assigned customer care reps, they no longer take phone calls about post cruise guest concerns, their email customer service site will not reply to any customer issues. This is unacceptable to me. But let me end on a positive note. Our cabin steward was OUTSTANDING, and our team in the main dining were excellent as well. Nearly all of the staff were very helpful and pleasant, the variety of entertainment options were good and we still had fun on this cruise.

Carnival Excel Suite

Spacious and comfortable. Nice bathroom with a dual walk in shower. Comfortable bed. Large balcony. Nice.

previous reviewnext review

Find a Carnival Mardi Gras Cruise from $532

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.