Norwegian Epic Review

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

I just returned as a solo traveler on the NCL EPIC. Worst cruise ship I have ever cruised on. Eleven days of pure torture. This ship feels like a dark, dank, dirty, seedy two-star Las Vegas Casino, only in Pahrump, NV. The food was horrible, the crew were constantly angry, often agitating passengers. My check in was botched, my app never worked, my name was wrong, all my excursions were cancelled for no reason "call Miami" not our problem. I was aware of the drawbacks of this ship but booked it for the ports/excursions – an Epic failure after my excursions were cancelled. Had to re-book all my excursions on board (several of my chosen ones no longer available) and had the added privilege of waiting in the ridiculously long excursion line DAILY after a long day of sightseeing to request my $50 discount advertised on my cruise package. The excursions will embed long wasted time at designated shops to get you to buy overpriced merchandise. Spent several hours at a "leather factory" where most of the factory was a store filled with overpriced leather goods. Spent roughly 1 1/2 hours in Florence due to a 2+ hour wait at a store for everyone to browse and buy leather goods.

The worst of all these issues is you cannot see the ocean on this ship unless you have a balcony. You will not find a place to relax anywhere on this ship and enjoy the ocean unless you want to gamble. There are no inside windows or outside seating areas ever available to watch the ocean (casino, bars and specialty restaurants). The layout of the ship could not accommodate the masses and with only two elevator sets on the ship it would often get aggressive. The crew was ill-equipped to handle moving the masses during excursions, events, disembarkation, etc. At times, it was downright dangerous with the level of uncontrolled crowds in the Epic theater, they could not get the aisles cleared or get the crowd controlled or cooperating. It was a potential fire hazard/stampede danger. It constantly felt like walking around Disneyland at peak season. Everything on this ship is overcrowded, long lines, waiting... This felt like a low budget cruise carrier! NCL should be embarrassed to even offer this ship for cruising - disgusting. First and last time on NCL

Trialed NCL's solo cabin with solo lounge. It was as expected. Difficult lighting and 1 electrical outlet. Room was adequate for one but difficult to find room to unpack for an 11-day cruise. If you are in one of these cabins you will have a difficult to impossible time trying to find a place to enjoy the ocean.

Port Reviews

Barcelona

I did not use NCL for shore excursions. This city offers outstanding transportation and an on/off sightseeing bus you can purchase for the day. Wonderful city.

Cannes

Cannes is beautiful and clean but not much to see. Booked an excursion through NCL to Antibe. Antibe was amaing, would not recommend booking excursions through NCL, not reliable.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome was a city on my bucket list and fascinating. The city is always crowded and loaded with aggressive street vendors and Beggers. The coliseum was worth touring along with St. Peter's Square, etc.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Epic Cruise from $279

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.