Scenic Jewel Review

Definitely not what we expected since our last year's cruise with Scenic

Review for Europe River Cruise on Scenic Jewel
suzie987
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

My husband and I chose this cruise as we throughly enjoyed our Christmas Cruise on the Rhine last year, it was so fantastic that when a sale came up on the River cruises I booked another one expecting the same level of service as before.

This was not the case, first we received an email that our ship had been changed, not a problem. Then the day that we are to board we received another email stating we are moving to a different hotel from the one in which we started, a very nice hotel right on the canal looking at Buda Hill Castle with a fantastic breakfast buffet and as we dined there and had a great dinner was the best. We were moved around the corner to another fantastic room, no view or a way to be on the balcony but a fantastic room especially the bathroom. The disappointment started there at dinner to which we were told by our cruise director Sylvia to go to at 7pm, we showed up at 6:45pm to select a table only to find out mostly everyone was upstairs where the food was being served. Told by Ben that we could take our glasses to the bar and we would be served wine, and the dinner was upstairs to which we could take the stairs or the very slow elevator up get our food and proceed down to eat it. As I stated the elevator was very slow, by the time we got what I would consider a grade 2 type of dinner, no where near the 5 star that would have been on the ship consisting of 2 types of pasta, pile potatoes, chicken drum sticks, chicken wings, no vegetables just cabbage salad and guess at the dressing that was there and bread. The best thing was the strudel for dessert. My husband did not get any of the soup or chicken dish as there was none left when he was in the line. It was like 40 per cent were left out of the information to show up and be seated upstairs, by the time we got downstairs our food was cold, not a very good first impression. The only announcement was there were going to be motor coaches to pick us up for our scenic tour in the morning our luggage to be outside the door after breakfast to which we were waiting to be told the bus to get on and went outside to find out it was boarding getting some last of seats. Then to find out after the Hospital in the Rock Sylvia said there would be just a 2.5 hour drive on the coach to the ship, it was actually close to 4 hours after stopping for a bathroom break only to find 3 flights of stairs to go up and pay for the bathroom or go back outside and go to another station, hoping the bus would be there, many seniors waited to get back on the bus and use the facilities. No one informed them that when they got to the bathroom you would need to pay, useful information from Sylvia that would have been. I did pay for a cruise not a bus tour.

After making it to the boat it was smooth at the front counter to check in and be assigned our rooms, being attached to another ship we could not use the balcony without looking into another room, leaving me to wonder why I bothered to pay more. Dinner was wonderful especially when you are hungry, no information was given just watch for the information to be posted in your room and at the desk. There was no information about the tour app with Scenic, meeting your butler or any announcements I knew only because we were on a river cruise last year. My husband spent time downloading the scanning badge, telling people about the app, how to listen to it while on a walking tour or going around with the map on your own. The first tour we went on no one knew to have their own headphones, to switch to the guide number and to be ready because nothing was explained, last year it was all done on the first day I know we missed the first day on the ship but a little explanation on the bus would have helped. It was so disorganized and made us feel like we were just a second thought, the staff of the ship were great but not as many as they didn't want you to go to the bar to get the drinks but they didn't come around to the tables as much. Breakfast was great because we knew you were allowed to order of the menu as well so you did not have to wait for an omelet in the morning, alot of people did not know that as it was not explained. We told many of the people who asked how we got eggs Benedict, fries, steak, salmon that there were alternatives, disorganized.

Cabin was smaller than last year, just enough storage, more could be fit in the laundry bag. We did not meet the butler till the second night but the room was always stocked and done and clean. We rarely use the butler for any coffee or breakfast to the room as we feel that is the least we can do is get up for the time it is provided. I did know about the credit on the account of $100.00 for the two of us but many did not. There was not a chance to book for the spa because of all the bus rides and not knowing when we would be back so we had to settle for a shirt that fits no one in our family as my husband had to settle for an xl women's shirt that is way smaller than the size as there was no mens size and a hat. Hat will have to do and we donated the shirt.

Port Reviews

Nuremberg

The hotel we received by Scenic was wonderful along with breakfast our view was very nice and it was easy to get to the main heart of the city to do a walkabout. Staff at the desk were very helpful as we stored our luggage and asked for directions and had a wonderful medical town tour, sausages for lunch provided by money as they needed to carry on with the bus to the exchange in ship for the rest of the tour. We only got to use our balcony for one night at night and one 3 hours in the harbour docked with swans.

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Scenic Jewel Cruise from $4,907

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.