• Newsletter
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Queen Victoria Review

No longer welcoming for solo travellers

Review for the British Isles & Western Europe Cruise on Queen Victoria
Solowidow
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

Since my husband passed away, I have travelled on 6 Cunard cruises as a solo passenger. Since COVID the first thing that you notice is the lack of staff which makes things awkward for solos.

On the first evening there used to be a solo travellers get together where the Social Host/Hostess and Dance Hosts would make you feel welcome (with a glass of bubbly) and get you talking to other solo travellers. On this cruise this was unhosted, and two groups of 6 ladies that already knew each other turned up - not my idea of solo travellers.

Solo travellers coffee mornings were always hosted - no longer. At least you can help yourself to coffee from a flask (on the QM2 you don't even get coffee as they hold it in the corner of a lounge where you have to pay for coffee, but at least they have hosts).

I always request a King Sized bed as it saves space. In the old days they used to put a mattress topper on so that you did not feel the join between the beds. This has not been done on my last few cruises. The cabin stewards seem to have to look after a larger number of cabins than before. Having said that, my steward was very good.

Port Reviews

Athens (Piraeus)

Port facilities very good. However, I went on a tour of the Acropolis. Not recommended as it was heaving with people which made it very dangerous on the uneven surfaces with no handrails.

Santorini

We were warned before boarding the tender that things were busy ashore. There were 3 other large cruise ships in that day. Long queues for the cable car completely blocked the landing area so that later tenders could not even dock. I walked up the steep perilous donkey track and was nearly knocked over a wall by a donkey.

People on organised tours were taken to a different landing area but many had to come back on the cable car.

Having decided that the walk down would be too perilous I joined the queue for the cable car for my descent at 2 pm. I reached the front of the queue at 3.30. People on other ships were panicking and crying and fights broke out as they had an earlier on board time.

Lisbon

Luckily I had been here before as storm Babet was overhead when we arrived. We followed it up through the Bay of Biscay

5 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Queen Victoria Cruise from $299

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.