MSC Meraviglia Review

Great value but lots of room for improvement

Review for Canada & New England Cruise on MSC Meraviglia
papadave
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Interior

The cruise, booked at the last minute, was a bargain, especially because the solo supplement was minimal. I was hoping that the solo experience would be okay, but that it really was not and the cruise line did almost nothing to make it a good experience.

For me, the highlights were embarkation, disembarkation, cabin size, the gym and extended pool hours. The low points were food, restaurant service, activities beyond the main stage and the lack of any real solo traveler program.

Embarkation from the Brooklyn cruise port was as good as any I have experienced. I took the ferry from the Wall Street pier and walked for two minutes with my luggage, passed by luggage to a porter, then walked another three minutes to the line to get on the ship. It moved very quickly and I was on board in no time at all. The only odd thing was that the ticketed embarkation time, 5 p.m., would have gotten me onto the ship after the mandatory safety drill. As I got on the ship much earlier, it was not a problem for me. Disembarkation was just as smooth. Those with airport connections may not have had the same experience, but my experience was perfect.

Deluxe Interior

The cabin is a decent size. The bathroom has enough space and a real shower door. My cabin could have used a couple of shelves and more drawers. I cannot imagine two people being able to unpack their clothing with no shelves at two tiny drawers which, together, are smaller than the room refrigerator. The TV (relatively small) was the full length of the cabin away from the bed. Also, not a lot of selection, so if you plan to spend time watching TV in your cabin (not my thing) this could be disappointing. There was only one USB charging port in the entire cabin and neither an electrical outlet nor a charging port near the bed.

Port Reviews

Boston

I like, but don't love, Boston. The first few times you visit it is a great opportunity to learn some American history, see the grounds of a famous college, go to the aquarium or to a museum. After a number of visits, as a tourist, I have had enough.

Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)

The immediate area is nice enough, with plenty of churches, a brand new library, opportunities to eat the best mussels in the word and oysters that area also right up there. It is also a great jumping off point to get into a vehicle and enjoy the rural scenery. You can visit the house that inspired the book Anne of Green Gables, which has very nice surrounding grounds. Having been there several times, PEI never disappoints me.

Newport

If you want to visit the summer home of a rich family, this is a great place to go. With two large cruise ships in town at once, I found it somewhat overrun by cruise ship passengers in the same way that most ports in Alaska can be -- you don't run into too many local folks, just other cruise ship passengers bumping into each other. The restaurants I looked at seemed too pricey for what they were offering, but for some people it was the only opportunity to get a fresh lobster roll (around $30) and no one forced me to buy any food. For both ships in port, tendering appeared to be problematic as the lines to return to the ships were very long at one point.

Sydney (Nova Scotia)

Maybe if I rented a car, as I did in the past, I would have a different opinion, as there is so little to do in the immediate vicinity of the cruise port.

1 Helpful Vote
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Meraviglia Cruise from $259

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.