MSC Virtuosa Review

Queues queues and more queues

Review for the Baltic Sea Cruise on MSC Virtuosa
HLM86
10+ Cruises • Age 30s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Traveled with children

Having done 18 cruises, I thought it would be nice to try MSC for the first time. Upon arriving by car at the dock, I have always been used to my luggage being taken from me at my car (RCI), this did not happen and we had to join a long queue to drop our bags off before entering the terminal. After dropping our bags, there were more long queues to get through security and then to check in. Have an autistic child, I completed the assistance forms prior to our arrival, but nobody was able to help me. After over an hour of queuing, we were then given a number to board which was another wait. I spoke to a member of staff about my sons needs and he allowed us to board. Upon entering the tunnel, we stood stationary for at least 30 minutes in a confined space. This was unbearable for my son so I spoke to another member of staff who was totally unhelpful. Eventually, I saw a queue of ‘Yacht Club’ guests being taken straight to the front, so I tagged on to the end of their line and took my son with me.

Our initial tour of the ship was positive. The decor was nice and the room was a good size, although it did miss a few basics - bathroom bin, boxes of tissues etc. We booked into the Mexican speciality restaurant for the first night, which was also nice and they accommodated three coeliacs in our family.

The next morning, we came down to the main dining room for breakfast (we were unable to be catered for in the buffet) to a very long line to get into the dining room. Again, I knew my son wouldn’t be able to cope with the long wait. We decided to skip breakfast and try again at lunch time. We soon realised this was going to be a reoccurring theme. Once in the dining room, there was a separate GF menu and the staff were helpful, particularly the Head waitress. We expressed our concerns around breakfast and they offered to provide a packed lunch for the children the following morning - we did collect this for them, but again there was a half an hour wait for it.

Port Reviews

Cobh (Cork)

Train station right at point of dock. 25 minute train into the city was reasonable €16 for a family of 4. Nice city with lots to see.

2 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Virtuosa Cruise from $59

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.