Norwegian Getaway Review

rodc0259
6-10 Cruises • Age 20s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

I have been on quite a few cruises and never had poor enough experiences to feel the need to write a review to inform others of what they might be getting into, until now. With other cruise lines, they personalize your experience and make you feel welcomed aboard like you are part of their family and they have been expecting you. This was not the case with Norwegian. They could NOT care less about who you are or what your needs may be. I traveled with a family member who, unfortunately, has food allergies out of their control. Nowhere on the ship was able to accommodate for this and we were consistently told we should have made arrangements prior to the cruise. However, nowhere on our booking or their website did they explicitly state or disclose we needed to inform them of such allergies. Even though we were limited in menu and dining options, the few choices we did have were a major disappointment. I do not expect much for your average buffet food, but I do expect the food at restaurants on the ship to NOT be the same exact food you find at the buffet, with the same quality as well.

The poor food was not even half of the problem with this cruise line. Every cruise I have been on has provided passengers with a plethora of activities to keep you busy and enjoying your days at sea, especially if one is unplanned due to port cancellation due to weather conditions. This was not the case for Norwegian, as they provided the same activities every day with staff who were completely unenthusiastic and couldn't even be bothered to at least smile. However, there were some activities which seemed fun and worthwhile, if you paid the extra charge to do them. Activities that were free consisted of sudoku puzzles and basic trivia games, in which half the crew and passengers appeared to be falling asleep at. In addition to charging for onboard activities, they thought it would be best to charge extra service charges to our room. Now, I understand service charges being like tips to the crew members, but they would automatically charge us and try to sneak in some double charges on the same day as well, even if we have been tipping separately the whole time. These service charges can be easily removed if you go up to guest services and simply ask to have them removed.

Noise was also another problem on this cruise. We were unfortunately stuck with a room on the deck directly below one of their theaters. I am not normally one to go to bed early, especially on vacation, but I do like to get my sleep when I have an early day planned the following morning. This was extremely difficult to do with the loud base, dancing, and music coming from the theater directly above us, where every night they had some performances going until well past midnight. We had complained on multiple occasions and were told there was nothing that could be done about the noise. Luckily, we were able to be moved to a much quieter room, but it was also much smaller. Having activities late into the night on a cruise is a wonderful idea, but if a cruise line is going to do so I expect the walls of the ship to be thick enough to allow their passengers to get some rest in their rooms.

Like I mentioned earlier, noise was also another problem on this cruise. We were unfortunately stuck with a room on the deck directly below one of their theaters. I am not normally one to go to bed early, especially on vacation, but I do like to get my sleep when I have an early day planned the following morning. This was extremely difficult to do with the loud base, dancing, and music coming from the theater directly above us, where every night they had some performances going until well past midnight. We had complained on multiple occasions and were told there was nothing that could be done about the noise. Luckily, we were able to be moved to a much quieter room, but it was also much smaller. Having activities late into the night on a cruise is a wonderful idea, but if a cruise line is going to do so I expect the walls of the ship to be thick enough to allow their passengers to get some rest in their rooms.

Port Reviews

Le Verdon

Pleasantly surprised with this port! We were a little bummed the cruise line made it seem like we were going to Bordeaux but did not specify it was actually Le Verdon, which is about two hours away from Bordeaux. However, Le Verdon did not disappoint. It is a cute little beachside town that has way more of a local vibe to it than a touristy one. The locals were super nice and helpful, and we were provided with some amazing local cuisine from there market. Shops line up and down the city that are filled with all sorts of delightful souvenirs.

Le Havre

Similarly to the other ports, we were misled by the cruise and told this would be Paris when in fact it was not. We booked a shore excursion to go to Paris in which we had little to no time to actually explore the city and get to see everything we wanted to. The cruise line only gave us about two to three hours to actually explore the city before we had to be back on the bus to the ship. By the time we got back to the ship we still had a few hours before we actually left the port.

Hamburg

Catching a ride to the city center from the port is quite tricky. Uber and Lyft aren't exactly the same as they are in other countries. Instead, Uber works with the local taxi services to provide rides in which you can find and request taxis on their app, they just might be a bit more expensive. The port itself is quite spacious and clean with little to no problems navigating. It is also right across the canal from the city, so if someone really wanted to they could walk but it may just take a while.

Brugge (Bruges)

Again, this port was not in the city we thought it was going to be. We took a shore excursion to Ghent for a canal cruise, which was very lovely, and had approximately thirty minutes after the canal cruise to explore and shop on our own. Like I've said before, this cruise line did not provide us with anytime to actually get to enjoy the cities we were in. Our tour guide, however, was extremely informative and provided us with ample information about the history and attractions of both the city and the country.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Getaway Cruise from $328

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.