• Newsletter

6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Concierge Level

We chose this cruise because we loved the itinerary, and have sailed with Oceania several times in the past. We were in a Concierage level three room on the 9th floor room. This was our fifth cruise with Oceania, and sadly it will be our last. Prior to Covid I would say the cruise line was solidly a five star line, while sometimes they had hiccups the service and food was always outstanding. I can’t say the same today. From the moment we paid for our trip in full the customer service was lacking and I started to have doubts. Let me try to shortly summarize our experience. We booked with Oceania directly and did not use a travel agent. A mistake I will never make again. At the time of booking (back in February) we had requested to stay two nights in Venice prior to our trip. We were wait listed for the hotel and told that right around 60 days before departure they open up the rooms at the hotel. We received our flight information having us leave early as if we were staying in Venice but continued to be wait listed at the hotel. I called their toll free number several times to try to see about our hotel room…. sometimes I got very helpful people and other times they were down right rude to me. One of their agents suggested I just book my own hotel and cancel the request with them if I did not want to scramble at the end, which I did. What she did not tell me is that when I canceled the hotel waitlist they would change my flights to have me arrive the day of ship departure. So to my surprise I received new flight information that now did not allow time in Venice. In short I had to pay Oceania $400 to change the flights back to my original flight and I had to pay another $1000 for transfers between the airport, hotel, and ship. I was aggravated but decided to just pay and enjoy my vacation. On the ship we started to notice little changes from our previous experiences. The food was mediocre at best, smaller portions and lesser quality ingredients, the restaurants were only open certain hours so if you missed that time slot your only option was the pool bar Waves. The service on board was hit or miss, sometimes we felt like we were invisible as staff would quickly walk by us without asking if we may want a drink or to refill our glass. No more chocolate on the pillow at night, I guess the 20 cents extra must have really stretched their budget. Our room and the hall always smelled like the septic was backing up, and there were several instances of toilets backing up around the ship thankfully not in my room! As I write this the toilet in our room doesn’t work. The shore excursions again were hit or miss where itineraries were changed to include 30-45 minutes time at some stupid gift shop, a lot of driving and very little time to do things on your own. In short the cruise was ok, I would say if you think you’re getting a five star cruise, you may want to look at a different line.

Concierge Level

Nice room mid-ship, but mattress was lumpy and the down comforter too hot

24 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Marina Cruise from $2,089

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.