Insignia Review

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023
Cabin: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

I chose this cruise because I’ve wanted to do a leaf cruise and we were on Insignia last December 2022/January 2023 (Panama Canal) and it was excellent. We had every expectation that this cruise would be the same. Sadly it was not. Specifically the food in the Grand Dining Room was not good. The menus were terrible and the descriptions lacking or incorrect. I have never had to resort to the always available items until this cruise when the main menu was just not appetizing. Even then the salmon was dry and overcooked as were the two fish dishes I ordered on other nights (Swordfish and Seabream.) The Beef dishes were the only ones that were cooked properly but the description of “grilled prime rib with bone marrow” was actually a slice of prime rib with bone marrow gravy and overcooked vegetables. We complained on the mid cruise survey and were invited to meet with the chef and two officers. This is the same Executive chef from the Panama cruise who walked around on that cruise but was never seen on this one. We were told that they had no control over the menus and every ship in the fleet had the same ones. I find this hard to believe but if true they need to revamp them. This still doesn’t excuse the poor execution. This was NOT “the finest cuisine at sea”! We heard similar complaints from other passengers and one man who had gone on 16 Oceania cruises said this was his last. Oceania is losing loyal customers. I would hesitate to book again and have recommended to many friends which I now have to rescind.

The Good: The crew is always excellent on Oceania. Our cabin steward was fabulous! Desserts and Pastries were excellent. Shore excursions were fine. Really enjoyed Newport RI, Kennebunkport and cruise as well as Quebec. The rest not so much.

This is just our opinion and it makes me sad as I have always trusted Oceania. We are not chronic complainers either!

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

Excellent steward. Cleaned very promptly and thoroughly whenever we left the cabin. Shower is difficult. Mattresses were terrible… very soft and gave my husband back pain which he is still dealing with. The steward flipped it which helped slightly.

10 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Insignia Cruise from $1,709

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.