• Newsletter
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Star Review

2,577 reviews

Very Pleasantly Surprised Overall. Plus, Cabin Review.

Review for the Arctic Cruise on Norwegian Star
DaisyWine
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Aug 2023
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony

For perspective, this was my first time cruising on Norwegian, and I have cruised previously on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. My husband and I found a fantastic last minute deal on the Norwegian Star for a Norway/Iceland cruise during Aug./Sept. 2023. Given the low price we paid, and given my incoming lower image of Norwegian, I was very pleasantly surprised overall at the quality and value of this cruise. And would consider Norwegian again in the future, at the right price point.

Although she is an old ship, I found her to be in very good shape, nevertheless the styling and décor are way out of date.

Overall, the food and food service was pretty good, not excellent, but was better than expected. The specialty restaurants were very good, especially Cagney’s (steak) and Moderna (Brazilian BBQ). Dinners in the Main Dining Rooms (there are two that serve the same menu) were pleasant, and mostly pretty good. Breakfast in both Main Dining (sit-down service) and the buffet were on par with other lines. We enjoyed O’Sheehan’s Irish Bar (always open) for late lunch and to watch our sail-aways by the window. Late lunch in the buffet (and pool area) were awful (hot dogs, etc.)

Mid-Ship Balcony

NORWEGIAN STAR CABIN – STANDARD BALCONY (BA) – REVIEW

My husband and I sailed on the Norwegian Star during Aug./Sept. 2023 in Norway/Iceland. We stayed in a Standard Balcony (BA). Here’s my observations.

OVERVIEW

**This cabin is about 8 rooms from the front of the ship. In rough seas, we heard very loud “thunder” like sounds as the waves hit the ship. The bed faces forward, meaning your feet point toward the front of the ship, therefore, moving in the same direction as the ship.

**Some noise was heard when the ship set anchor and got out lifeboats for tendering. There was no other outside noise, like from an elevator or housekeeping closet.

**There’s only 1 small nightstand on 1 side, when the beds are pushed together. We used the small couch as a nightstand for the other side.

**There’s a mini-fridge that fits small plates, so we brought back desserts to eat later.

**There’s 1 small, flat screen TV.

BATHROOM

**Toiletries provided: Tissues, liquid hand soap, shower gel and shampoo/conditioner combination only. No lotion, no robes/slippers or anything else.

**There are sturdy, large handles in the toilet room and shower, which were handy in rough seas. Both these rooms have frosted doors.

**There’s a hotel-style extendable clothes line in the shower, as well as 5 hooks in the bathroom.

**The bathroom sink water is drinkable, so BYO Yeti bottle.

HVAC & PLUGS & HAIR DRYER

**The ship kept our cabin at a constant 72.5 degrees. The wall control had 3 up and 3 down arrows for adjustment (but no temperature numbers).

**Lighting was poor for reading. There are bed lights with USB plugs on both sides.

**There are 2 desk/ledge areas. By the closet, there is 1 US (110 volt) and 1 European (220 volt) outlet, plus a mirror and hair dryer. By the TV, there is 1 European and 2 USB outlets.

STORAGE

**There was ample storage space for 2 guests, each with 1 large suitcase, as there’s 3 drawers and 8 shelves (4 of which are sideways in the closet). The large suitcases fit underneath the bed.

**The safe is small – we had to tilt a standard size iPad inside to make it fit.

21 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Norwegian Star Cruise from $599

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.