MSC Euribia Review

Big is not always better...

Review for the Baltic Sea Cruise on MSC Euribia
MY Schavuit
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Deluxe Interior

We did a dozen of cruises on almost all mainstream cruise lines, but this was our first one on MSC. Having sailed with Costa though we knew a bit what to expect. We did the cruise with friends who where first time cruisers. I chose the Euribia on this 6 day Hamburg to Southampton cruise for a couple of reasons. First of all the opportunity to try a big ship. We have only been on smaller ships and this was the opportunity to try this new ship not to far away (we will live in the north of Sweden, so Hamburg is relatively close). The price was I would say extremely good. We paid 2000 euro for 5 people in 2 Fantastica cabins, including the easy plus drinking package, pretty close to all in though. Our party was two couples and one 17 year old. I am visually impaired (macula degeneration) and for I will not be the only one, I will mention issues which might be good to know for others with similar problems.

We were in the last shuttle from Hamburg entre to the terminal so no lines at all. Embarkation was quick, efficient and friendely and boarding the ship was impressive. The central gallery with its led screens on the ceiling are absolutely stunning. This main gallery is the heart of the ship with shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. It is spacious and never felt too crowded. However, this feeling chaged after we entered the marketplace buffet for dinner. It was very crowded, hard to find a table and hard to get to the food. For me it is not easy to select the food from a buffet and the feeling people are impatiently waiting behind you makes it not very pleasant to use the buffet. But the good thing is because of the crowd, fresh food is supplied all the time and I found the quality of the food not bad for a buffet, have seen worse. We tried the buffet the other morning for breakfast, same issues, so we decided not to useit anymore. But soon the second issue came up. We like visiting the theatre every night and tried to walk in for one of the three performances, but found out we had to make reservations... Everything was sold out and the next day we had the same issue. Euribia offers the alternative Caroussel lounge with a live big band. A wonderfull venue and a big band at sea... it can not get any better for me! But unfortunately, the same issue there, no seats available. But we liked the big band and attended the performance standing. On the third cruise night we finally got a reservation for the theatre. I was surprised to find out it was about the smallest I have ever seen on a cruise ship. I takes about 800 people which is not a lot knowing Euribia can take over 6000 passengers (this cruise took about 4700 pax). Also, I was not impressed by the sound and light. The singers sounded uncertain, a bit out of key and rythm every now and then, probably caused by improper monitoring (I have a lot of experience in theatre, both as performer and director). The full stage LED screen as background can be an amazing feature, but should be used to support the act. However, it was used all the time which I found distracting and in my case, combined with poor lighting on the artists, made it hard to follow the act. The illusionist show for example was impossible for me to follow because of the poor lighting.

Having said this, there are singers performing all over the ship and I found them quite good overall. But having a drink at night is also a challenge. It is not easy to find a seat in your favourite bar. You more or less do not have much choice, you need to go to the less popular places if you want to have a seat.

Deluxe Interior

Port Reviews

Brugge (Bruges)

Arriving into the container terminal. We wanted to rent a car but this was almost impossible, we had to go te Brugge city which is an hour by public transport one way. We split up and we did a quick visit to the coastal town of Blankenberge. Not very special.

Rotterdam

Right in the heart of the city, you can easily walk to the city centre. There is a lot to do and see in the neighbourhood. Best port on this cruise

Le Havre

Port for visiting Paris but this is quite far away. We rented a car and visited the beautifull cliffs of L Etretat at half an hour. Beaches of Normandy is another good option. The city itself is not very inviting.

13 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an MSC Euribia Cruise from $79

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.