Symphony of the Seas Review

dmrrn73
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023

I admit, this class ship was the last one I had planned on for this trip. My husband has always been more interested in the huge mega ships than I ever was. We were going as a celebration of our 20th anniversary and I had wanted a smaller more intimate ship, possibly on Celebrity or Princess or a smaller Royal ship. But in looking around and narrowing down the itinerary I found this one that left on a Thursday. Which was a miracle to find and worked out well for me and my work schedule and my need to not have to take both weekends off. So Symphony it was. As my title says I was pleasantly surprised about a lot of things. The ship is huge but it was beautiful. There were lots of areas around that were not crowded and even though the pools were fairly busy we always were able to find lounge chairs around the pool or reasonably close by. The Windjammer was busy some of the times we went but we always found a table without too much trouble.

I had chosen the set time Late seating dining when I booked but a couple days before the trip I noticed on our documents it said My Time Dining so we went to see about changing that. The lady I spoke to at the dining room said it couldn't be changed but she did make us a reservation for 8pm every night. And we ended up with the same waiter and assistant waiter every night so that worked out. That was the main reason I wanted the set times so we would have the same staff every night. Our waiter was Igor and our assistant was Brian and they were both from Brazil. They were great, treated us very well. Most nights they brought out an extra app and or dessert for us to share/try other than what we ordered which was nice. The food was good. my husband wasn't too crazy with the menu overall, mostly with the variety but he is pretty picky and ended up ordering almost the same things every night. Caesar salad or French onion soup whenever those were available. NY strip 3 or 4 of the nights. I found the menu a little better than he did and got more variety. The food was good, came out nice and hot (or cold if that's what it called for). Although one night there was Chicken Picatta which I ordered and it was good but it was definitely NOT Chicken Picatta. At least not the way I have had it before, the only thing that resembled Chicken Picatta were the capers. I was disappointed in the lack of soup on the menu in the dining room and then in the windjammer, there was soup but not any that I was really interested in most of the time. The one day there was "chicken noodle" but it was really sad, it was spaghetti noodles and more al dente than I usually like too. It wasn't that great.

We tried El Loco Fresh one day and that was pretty good. We didn't do any of the other specialty dining places. We had room service breakfast a couple times and it was good. The pizza at Sorrento's was decent. We had specialty coffee at Promenade Cafe one morning.

Our room was a large balcony right at the front of the first hump on the port side. It was a great room, the balcony was great, there were 2 chairs with foot rests and a small round table. We did spend time out there every day. The bed was hard but after a couple days I asked the cabin steward for a mattress topper and he did that, it was better after that. The bathroom and shower were good sized, the water pressure in the shower could have been better but it did the job. Would definitely book this room or category again.

Port Reviews

La Spezia (Cinque Terre)

We did a tour to Florence and Pisa. It was a good tour but not enough time in Pisa.

Marseille

Did a basic city tour here. Beautiful city

Naples

Did a boat ride up the coast and spent time in Sorrento. Really enjoyed.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Did a tour to Valdemosa. Was really interesting.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Spent 2 days before the cruise here and toured on our own. Did a golf cart tour of Rome and this was really good. The golf cart driver/tour guide was a crazy driver but sometimes you have to be with how crazy the roads are there.

4 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Symphony of the Seas Cruise from $334

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.