Oosterdam Review

1,094 reviews

Oosterdam is outdated and tired looking

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Oosterdam
ncc and jcc
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

My husband and I sailed on the Oosterdam Sept 14th, 2023 - October 8th, 2023. This was a 24 day trip starting in Barcelona and ending in Athens, Greece. When booking, everything that could have wrong did. I was given misinformation about having an assigned cabin and having premium economy flights. This was straightened out by a very helpful Resolution Specialist. We received an email from American Airlines that our 2 returning flights from Athens to LAX were cancelled. I booked the flights with HAL, they never notified me the flights were cancelled. When I called American Airlines, I was told to call HAL as the flights were booked by them. The gentleman in the flight department screamed at me that it wasn’t HAL’s responsibility to book another flight. Once again I contacted the same resolution specialist to straighten this out. The lack of training in the flight department and excursions dept was poor at best.

The cabins are old and tired looking. The bathroom needs a total gut job. The sink water would be scolding hot, had to let it run for 3 mins to get water temperature down. Shower had the opposite problem, water was ice cold, had to run water for 3 mins to get temperature up. Holland has cut back, activities during the day were next to nothing. Computer photo editing class has been cut, along with card making, scrapbooking, lanyard making. Entertainment was just ok. The main dining room no longer has lobster or filet mignon on dresser nights. You can order this any night for an $18 - $20 dollar charge, comes from the better restaurant which is now $50 per person, skip it. The free cuppachino coffee drink is now $3.50. Like everything shore excursion prices have gone up. The shore excursion dept had no clue what ports were walkable.

We have been on many HAL cruises, and have been on over 20 cruises, anywhere from 14- 28 days. Unless it’s a newer ship, I would not choose HAL again. I’d recommend booking HAL cruises with Costco. I won’t be booking with the trip dept at HAL again, after the numerous phone call and trouble I had to get things straightened out. Sad to say, HAL is 3 stars at best.

All cabins need a redo, furnishings were out dated and looked tired. Cabins were functional. Bathrooms need a total gut jib.

Port Reviews

Trieste

3 days in Trieste isn’t enough to do. We booked a castle tour with HAL that was ok. Booked a free walking tour, not much to see. Also booked a castle and cave tour with Viator that was much better than HAL tour.

Dubrovnik

This was our 4th time in Dubrovnik, unfortunately there were a total of 5 cruise ships docked. We spent a lot of time dodging other tourists, that’s why I gave it a 3 rating. Without the cruise ships this is a nice place to stop and walk around. Now it’s mostly trinket shops, gelato, restaurants, and high end jewelry stores.

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Oosterdam Cruise from $569

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.