Seven Seas Explorer Review

Disappointing-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Review for Transpacific Cruise on Seven Seas Explorer
FEMOC
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

We were disappointed with the cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo, for it lacked the five star quality that we were expecting. We have been on over 20 cruises, and in certain areas-like the internet and excursions-it was by far the worse of any cruise. Perhaps Regent is now a three star line.

I will start with The Good. The food ranged from good to excellent, with the specialty restaurants and the deserts topping the list. The restaurant service was also very satisfactory. Similarly the housekeeping staff was efficient, friendly, and professional. The captain did a fine job of informing us of the rough seas to be encountered, and woke us up one night at 4:20 am to view the Northern Lights. This is the type of service one expects, and pays for, on five star cruises.

The Bad is topped off by the internet. The farther we sailed, the worse it got, and the more excuses we were given. Among the excuses were the mountains around the port blocked the satellite signals, we were sailing a more northerly course than expected and thus we did not have service on that route, the wind interrupted the service, etc. It became a joke among the guests, and one mentioned that he wondered what the next "whopper" the internet manager would tell. Some of the webpages that we received from the poor internet service were reminiscent of the dial up modem days. We were also told that perhaps next year Regent would upgrade to a Starlink system, but that was of no value to us this year. In Kushiro, I walked from the ship to a hotel just to get internet service. We had no internet service when we were in Yokohama, a city of three million people. I could not run details of my business because of the poor service. This is itself is a reason I will not cruise on Regent again. Indeed, I canceled a future cruise as soon as I got off the boat.

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Seven Seas Explorer Cruise from $4,218

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.