Ovation of the Seas Review

October 2023 9 day Hawaiian Cruise on Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas - NOT A 9 DAY HAWAIIAN CRUISE

Review for Hawaii Cruise on Ovation of the Seas
Captwife1
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2023
Cabin: Grand Suite with Large Balcony - 1 Bedroom
Embarkation day - super easy to get on!
Our cabin
LONG Day 8 Saturday - just longingly looking at Hawaii

This is by far and away the WORST cruise we have ever been on and we cruise a couple times each year. We purchased this cruise in June of 2023. This was prior to the Maui Fires. The cruise was to leave Vancouver and start the 6 day Pacific crossing, however due to the Maui fires the two days/nights we were to spend in Lahaina were off the itinerary. Instead Royal Caribbean made the decision to Day 1 cruise to Victoria, Day 2 Cruise to Seattle, than start the 6 day Pacific crossing. We were to get to Hawaii (today) on the island of Kauai, however sometime between leaving our home in MN and boarding the ship in Vancouver, BC Royal Caribbean took the day of Kauai off the itinerary and cancel the excursions, so instead we are what they call scenic cruising the island but it is more like we are just spinning in circles. Tomorrow (day 9) we will get to Oahu and disembark. When I write that there is MANY upset passengers that is an understatement. Not only is this merely just a passage or repositioning cruise but also I must mention Royal Caribbean would not provide any accommodation - refunds, upgraded cabin, shipboard credit. Etc. And I made a mistake that I will never do again, I booked this cruise directly with RCCL and I paid in full when I booked. Their policy is if final payment his made, no refund in 30 days and we were not notified of the itinerary changes until after the 30 days. (Even though we continued to contact RCCL inquiring as to the status of the cruise - due to fires). Then this cruise was discounted significantly. Three weeks prior to sailing I priced our exact ticket/cabin, etc and it was less than 50% of what we paid. RCCL would do nothing…. The frustrations just continued, on day 2 we had to go through customs when we arrived into Seattle. This was the most inefficient process, it took 2.5 hours of standing in line on the roller rink court. No food, No water, No seating, total inefficient process. Once we got through we had yet another line to get off the ship…. The last minute excursions that were added in Victoria and Seattle were just that - VERY last minute and not vetted well. In Victoria we opted to go on a eBike tour of the city. We are avid eBike riders - and they did indicate this would be strenuous. There was several people in our group that had never even been on an e-bike and it had been years since they rode any type of bike. One older passengers crashed - in a very bus intersection in front of the Empress Hotel. The tour guide was nowhere in sight as she was two blocks ahead. The e-bikes that were provided were dangerous and the instruction on how to use them lacking. I rode up to find the tour guide and to inform her that one of the passengers had fallen and she should be checked out. I saw now concern in the tour guides face - at all. On Day 3 an incredible - high decibel vibration started outside our room and carried into our room - non stop. We called maintenance at 11 p.m. and again at 6:00 a.m. Finally at 4:30 p.m. they called and offered to move us to another cabin, but this entailed packing everything up and moving up 5 floors. This would have been ok, but we had a Chef’s table reservation at 6:15 p.m. so it was a mad scramble I will say this - the crew and staff on this cruise have been outstanding, but obviously been hushed and told not to comment about the itinerary changes. We only found out two days ago that we were just going to cruise around Kauai and not dock and have the day there. So on this beautiful Saturday we literally are going in circles around Kauai and to add to the frustration, no shops and or casino is open because we are within 3 miles of land. HOW CRAZY - so guests are at the pool or sitting in the cabin as there is nothing to do. And admiring the beautiful cost of Kauai is wonderful but for 12 hours? The Ovation of the Seas goes on from Honolulu to Australia,, so again this a repositioning cruise. We are so frustrated that while on board we cancelled two 16 day cruises we had booked in February and paid for mostly. We are taking a break from cruising and a long break from Royal Caribbean. I am writing this as we stare - longingly at Kauai, getting off the ship tomorrow will be a relief. I should add - we have done many crossings, Atlantic, this was our first Pacific and if your susceptible to movement and seasickness this crossing may not be for you as the boat was really moving/swaying several days…

Grand Suite with Large Balcony - 1 Bedroom

Our cabin is lovely - large balcony - comfortable. Great room attendant - Allison

10 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Ovation of the Seas Cruise from $219

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.