Sylvia Earle Review

rebeccaNYC
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jan 2023
Getting ready to disembark the Zodiac and get back on the ship.
Icebergs - on a Zodiac cruise
Adélie penguins

After a great deal of research into the many expedition tour operators that go to Antarctica, my friends and I chose Aurora. They have been leading polar expeditions for many years and have two new X-bow ships that offer the latest in safety and comfort. The Sylvia Earle is a beautiful ship with very comfortable and well-appointed cabins, two restaurants (both with very good food), a wonderful library, spacious lecture hall, two bars, a nice gym, and wonderful outdoor space.

We sailed with 117 guests and it was very easy getting on and off the ship each day for our landings and/or Zodiac cruises. The expedition team was top notch and we had wonderful lectures every day on Antarctic history, wildlife, and icebergs as well as speakers that included a renowned nature photographer. We were very fortunate to have good weather once we got to the Antarctic peninsula and got off the ship 9 times over our six days sailing around Antarctica. You do need to be prepared for changes to the planned itinerary as the weather and sea conditions change from hour to hour. We were very fortunate to be able to set foot on the Antarctic continent, not just the peninsula, and to get to sail south of the Antarctic Circle.

We did run into weather on both of our crossings of the Drake Passage and although I had never experienced seasickness before, I felt it on this trip. It’s part of the experience and you just need to be prepared with a patch or pills should you need them.

My roommate and I were fortunate to be upgraded to a junior suite which was huge - two rooms - and had an enormous amount of storage space including a walk-in closet as well as a large balcony. The bathroom was very nice and had a large shower, but felt small for a suite. There was very little space to for two people to put any personal items. Our friends were in a very nice balcony stateroom which had plenty of room and good storage space as well. There was actually better counter space in the regular stateroom bathroom. There are yoga mats in all the rooms, which is a nice touch. Beds were comfortable and there were plenty of places to plug in your devices.

13 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.