Emerald Princess Review

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023
Cabin: Balcony

I booked this cruise with two other couples I met on a previous cruise, and we wanted to get together again and decided on this one. Embarkation was very speedy being in the green lane. There was a long line for the blue lane. The food service was good onboard regarding lido deck dining such as Salty Dog or Slices. Dining room was always lengthy. The three times I went to the dining room, it was between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Food was mediocre in the dining room, and when I ordered what was offered daily instead of the specials of the day, I left hungry. Small portions were given, and I didn't want to ask for another. I favored the International Cafe for when I was still hungry. The buffet also had a good variety of choices. Not great food, but good food. The bar service was slow at times due to lack of staff. And the options that were on the menu before sailing were not available when I came onboard such as no seltzers and certain light beers. I did like ordering to my room through the Medallion. Our first port (Rhode Island) was cancelled due to a tropical storm, and I am thankful our safety was considered. The other ports had nice excursions. Some were lengthy and exhausting, but that is what I signed up for. My room was always tidy, and I thank my room steward. The shows at night were very good from the production shows to the comedian. I seem to have something to do throughout the day, so there were many options for activities. I did go to the gym every morning, and I asked the young gentleman who ran the gym if the gym was open on the last day and he said yes. I was skeptical, because usually it isn't. Well, it wasn't. And there where issues in the public bathroom that weren't addressed for days such as plugged toilets and no paper towels in the same bathroom. Overall, this ship had wonderful staff.

Balcony

Room steward kept our room tidy and clean. Shower was extremely small, but I was very happy with our balcony room.

Port Reviews

Bar Harbor

Our excursion was to Acadia National Park. Our guide was knowledgeable and helpful. We did a little shopping after, and the townspeople were kind.

Boston

We did the Freedom Walking Trail. It was lengthy and rainy. The tour guide made a couple mistakes on the timelines, but some us knew better but didn't say anything.

Halifax

We visited the cemetery where some of the Titanic passengers were buried. We then visited Peggy's Cove which was an area by the ocean with huge rocks and a lighthouse. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and kept us entertained on the bus.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

We visited St. Martins, which was a quaint little town and the Bay of Fundy, which we weren't able to walk over to the caves due to the tides, and the Reversing Rapids, and the Old City Market. The guide was knowledgeable.

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Emerald Princess Cruise from $598

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.