Costa Firenze Review

A great cruise and I am not sorry that the ship will leave the fleet.

Review for Transatlantic Cruise on Costa Firenze
At7Seas
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

I know Costa as a place for great Italian food, vibrant entertainment, beautiful ships and a well functioning service. Now I took just a short time out on a repositioning cruise around Western Europe. I wanted to sail on Costa Firenze, because she and her sister Venezia caused very positive and very negative reactions and I wanted to have an impression on my own before the ship will leave the fleet and I like this itinerary. My feelings are very mixed, the cruise itself was very good, I had a great time on a beautiful ship that is designed with a very bad layout. It is in many details simply way too small for the number of cabins aboard, while there are huge areas that were not used at all, guests simply did not accept them. I am aware that the ship had been designed for the Chinese market, despite some really good ideas it is generally no ship that fits to European guests.

While Costa normally uses the modern cruise terminal in the city centre of Kiel if space is available this time boarding happened in the ugly industrial port at the other side of the bay, where normally only ferries to the Baltic and MSC dock. With many thanks to the Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) I arrived in Kiel with a massive delay. I left the railway station at boarding time. A taxi brought me straight to the terminal, bad enough behind three busses that brought guests for check in. So the lines were long and became much shorter while I was waiting. I just had no luck. I needed for check-in, shuttle bus through the industrial port and port organised security check 65 minutes, just above the hour I regard as acceptable for getting aboard.

I made the security drill with the Costa app. Quite strange when you sit in your cabin having the usual prosecco you get on arrival while watching a video and ticking a couple of times “yes”. I went down to the muster station - taking the elevator was allowed - and had my cruise card scanned. Sorry, of course this is very pleasant, but I have my doubts whether this is useful.

Size of the cabin was comfortable, the storage room however limited, the upper part of the wardrobe was just closed without obvious reason. For one person on a two week cruise it was just sufficient, but I don’t want to imagine sharing this cabin with another person. The bathroom I liked much, it much more reminded me to a modern bathroom ashore than to the typical ones aboard of a ship. In the cabin it was obvious as well that the ship was designed for the Chinese market, because of the sockets. Besides one of the usual European multi-standard and one 110-V-only American sockets there were two of a version I don’t have even an adapter for. Everything was very clean and very well maintained.

6 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.