Viking Neptune Review

Yaya 23
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

We wanted a trip with interesting ports, not too many sea days, and a medium sized ship. This fit the bill. The ship itself is wonderful! Even our lower-priced stateroom had a small balcony. It was comfortable, well appointed and conveniently located. There were plenty of comfy spaces to hang out on the ship with a book or a drink, or both. I loved the infinity pool! It's small, but very refreshing - especially since we had unexpectedly hot temperatures. The staff was superb! Attentive but not cloying. Just right. We mostly ate dinner in The Restaurant, and the food was very good. Breakfast was usually at the World Cafe (aka the buffet) with plenty of selection. There were a couple of special lunches out by the pool - mussels one day, paella another. Those were great. We loved the tasting menus at The Chef's Table. It was fun to be surprised with new tastes. As to the ports, our favorites were Cartagena, Bergen, Le Havre and Falmouth, probably because they were manageable on our own. We love Barcelona, but we didn't dock there until 1:00, so it was a very short visit. I was disappointed with many of the included excursions. Some were just a bus ride through a city, and when there was a stop to "explore on your own," the time was brief and pretty much taken up waiting for a restroom. We had a few good tour guides, but some had accents so heavy we could barely understand them, or they moved so fast some of the less mobile guests couldn't keep up. In fact, that is my biggest comment - there was little attention paid to offering excursions suitable for less mobile passengers. Perhaps Viking could have an "accessibility concierge" who might make private arrangements for those who need more specialized transit. I would happily pay more for that. Instead, what I was told at guest services was that if I found a tour that looked promising, they would help me book it. That is not the same as helping me figure out what will be a good choice for my less mobile partner in a given city. Seems like arrangements with local Tuk Tuk companies or private drivers could be part of that service. And if Viking made the arrangements, we wouldn't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time, since that would be part of their arrangement. I appreciated the free shuttle arrangements at some of the ports - poking around on my own was much more fun than sitting on a bus. We only learned there would be a shuttle at the port talks, long after we had booked excursions. I was not thrilled with the entertainment in the theatre or the club. I did enjoy the pianist or duo playing while paintings by Edward Munch were projected in the atrium - I looked forward to the "Munch Moments" each day. My final gripe was the flight home. Viking booked us an unnecessarily long travel day, with a 4-hour layover in Montreal (a terrible airport!). Guess I was asleep at the wheel when they sent us the travel info - I definitely should have had that changed. We ended up with a 24-hour travel day, just to get from Barcelona to Los Angeles. Despite these criticisms, overall we were very very happy with this cruise, and will sail again with Viking.

3 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Neptune Cruise from $2,299

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.