Viking Osiris Review

A once in a lifetime trip

Review for the Middle East Cruise on Viking Osiris
Cruisetemple1
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023
Cabin: Outside Stateroom

To visit Egypt was a dream of mine for a long time but waited until I retired and there was relative peace in the country. From our time in Cairo to the actual cruise down the Nile I was totally enthralled with the itinerary that Viking provided. The guides were Egyptologist and thus knew all the hieroglyphics and gods that the pharaohs worshiped and thus built their burial chambers/pyramids/temples. We had little down time and while the temperature was hot, the length of the visits to each place was timed to not over exert our energy level. The restaurant on the Osiris was excellent and had very friendly waiters that made the trip even more enjoyable. The visit to the Valley of the Kings was particularly enjoyable seeing chambers carved into the sandstone mountains and the intricate decorations that the tunnel and burial chambers had - realizing all that was done with only the use of torches to light the tunnel was awe inspiring. I came away with more questions about how the large statues were made - the granite was quarried over a hundred miles away with the block of granite weighing 2000 tons - how did they move it that distance and load and off load the stone onto a boat?? The trip was extremely interesting and I would recommend anyone that had any interest to take this trip. Viking took care of all of our food, transportation, information, etc. They did a wonderful job!

Outside Stateroom

While primarily used for sleeping, the cabin had ample room for lounging with the lounge outside the sliding glass door and the bathroom was larger than many that I have encountered on sailing vessels.

1 Helpful Vote
previous reviewnext review

Find a Viking Osiris Cruise from $5,999

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.