Jewel of the Seas Review

happytotravel127
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

We booked this 22 months ahead of time. We were unable to get our favorite cabin, JS. We did not like the balcony cabin! Way too small for us. I can't remember how many times we ran into each other between the bed and door.

The Jewel of the Seas is old, built in 2004 and updated in 2016. It needs so much work. Paint peeling, titles cracked, Wi-Fi was almost nonexistent. unless you were in the Windjammer. Text messages on their app did not always go through. Back to post-it notes.

The food was ok. Nothing over the top in the Main Dinning Room. I found it average for the most part. Sometimes the food came to our table warm, not hot. We were by the kitchen and sometimes it seemed to take forever to get our meals. Found out there are only 14 menus that rotate each cruise. So much for variety.

Cabin 6D category. If you like a small, balcony cabin, this is your cabin. I must be spoiled by the JS we have stayed in. The bed was great. The right firmness for us. The cabin was cleaned each morning. Nikko did a wonderful job each day. The closet did fit our large luggage, it all depended which side of the closet you put it. The closet has shelves in the middle that helped us out due to the lack of drawer space. Moving around the bottom of the bed/wall could be hard some days. The bathroom! Yikes! Small. Be careful if you drop anything in the shower, you could hit the shower wall. You can wash your hands from the toilet. Enough storage for us in the bathroom.

Port Reviews

Qaqortoq

The best port! We had a wonderful time walking all around the town. The people were friendly. We found the only ice cream shop in port! Who doesn't want ice cream at 11 am in Greenland? Kunguak Cafe & Icebar. The owner was very friendly and helpful on places to see. We walked around for hours. Checking out the highest point we could climb. Stopped in stores, took pictures of monuments, and taking a lot of pictures of the views! Breathtaking for me! I want to go back!

St. John's (Newfoundland)

The rain was tough to deal with. My husband does like to go out of his comfort zone. I stopped at the Marriott, Courtyard in St. John's to get a taxi. They were very helpful! We went up to Signal Hill. The rain was coming down with so much wind. We walked down to the Visitor Center and Chocolate Cafe to dry off and have some hot chocolate. They did not have hot chocolate! Supply did not come in. It figures. I had the Toffee Nut Latte, yum. I also had a wonderful trail mix cookie! We dried off and had the visitor center call us another taxi.

We were dropped off at our ship and we ran into a young man that met at Signal Hill. He was a tour guide. We asked him how much it would be to take us back up to Signal Hill. It was free and the sun was OUT!! No more rain! He told us all about the town and Signal Hill. We were so lucky to run into him. I was able to get some great photos from Signal Hill.

When back in the downtown of St. John's, we walked down Water Street and went into many stores.

I would recommend St. John's, Newfoundland as a great stop.

Nuuk

Nuuk is busy port. Watch yourself if you walk around the port. A lot a traffic. Once you are out of the port area, walking if fine. Cars stop for pedestrians. The largest of the 3 ports in Greenland. They hit 20,000 people in the town this year.

There is much to see and do. We did an excursion and the captain was very informative. It was cold outside on the boat, it was worth it.

After that we walked around, went into stores, more history locations and finally food.

We ate at Tapasimut, which is across from Hotel Hans, on Aqqysubersyaq. We would eat there again. We were not brave enough to try local food.

8 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Jewel of the Seas Cruise from $298

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.