Regal Princess Review

1,787 reviews

Princess seems to be stepping up

Review for the British Isles & Western Europe Cruise on Regal Princess
therealsherlock
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023

We cruised on this same ship - Regal about 4 yrs ago on the Baltic Cruise. The quality of the food and service since then has improved. The dining room dinners were very good - better than 4 yrs ago. The service seemed better too. Our attendants were on the ball. The first cruise on Regal we had mini suite and this time we had mini suite one level higher and one room further forward. The cabin again was very nice and my wife enjoyed the full sized bathtub of the mini suite often. Our cabin attendant was on the ball and the room was always taken care of. We noticed the entertainment on this cruise was also better than our experience 4 yrs ago. The shows, for the most part, were excellent. Also other music located around the ship was very good. Unfortunately this cruise we has mostly rainy weather and I never did see anyone using any of the pools though I was able to use the hot tubs a few times as a few other did. The age level of cruisers on this particular cruise was pretty high - like me - 73 or above. Luckily, on most of our excursions the weather behaved for decent weather. Unfortunately we were not able to go to Guernsey because of a storm. We got an extra sea day out of it. The Medallion thing is kind of a joke. Several times during our cruise my medallion would not open the door as it was supposed to. Princess now as of a couple of months ago charges you an initial extra fee of about $15 if you decide you want to use your Medallion app to order something. This is a joke as they still advertise this feature without mentioning the initial fee. Also, if you want Pizza from Alfredos it is no longer free - costs extra to eat in there. This was changed also a couple of months ago. You can still get good pizza for free though by the pool - LIdo deck. We have cruised 1 times with Carnival years ago, 4 times on Celebrity and now 5 times on Princess. We used to actually like Celebrity better because of higher quality food and service but...our last Celebrity cruise Celebrity was slipping some and now Princess seems to be trying harder. We may need to do another Celebrity cruise to have something more recent to compare with. We did put down a deposit on a future Princess cruise however. We found the future cruise office on this cruise fairly pathetic. If you wanted to put money down - deposit on a future cruise they would help you but they would not help you at all PLAN a future cruise. They would just direct you to the pamplets. I know Celebrity would spent lots of time suggesting details of future cruises. So, we are still at 50/50 with Celebrity and Princess at this time but...Princess has obviously stepped it up compared to 4 years ago. I think they are trying to get business back - reputation. My favorite place on a cruise ship is the Lido Deck aft where you can sit at the Outrigger Bar and watch the ocean prop wash - peaceful. The Regal has this which I enjoyed again weather permitting which was NOT enough. Some Princess ships has been refurbished where they removed this precious free area and have replace it with the ridiculous pay area - The Sanctuary. This really ticked me off. I no longer book on ships without my free Lido Deck aft. As some reviews have mentioned the Promenade Deck on the Regal is pretty much useless. It is often gated off and you cannot see anything anyways because of the hanging life boats. If this deck is important to you this is not your ship. Otherwise, decent ship with many improvements - yes - I recommend for most ...

Good - mini suite

16 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Regal Princess Cruise from $443

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.