Star Flyer Review

Interesting experience - but you have to take the good with the bad

Review for the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Star Flyer
BethanieKay
10+ Cruises • Age 40s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023
Owner's Cabin- with 4 floor levels, low ceiling, and immovable hazards/objects (tables).
Owner's Cabin - with 4 floor levels, low ceiling, and immovable hazards/objects (tables).
Owner's Cabin bathroom, with bathtub "shower" that you can only stand in if you're shorter than 4'9", and a 31" (3 foot) drop from the bathtub edge to the floor.
Owner's Cabin bathroom sink.
Owner's Cabin - the red boxes on the left are a "break glass for key" method to get into the room in case the emergency escape needs to be used.
Ladder in the Owner's Cabin to be used with the skylight for emergency evacuation.

Although I'm a veteran cruiser (more than 19 cruises at this point), this was my first experience on a Star Clippers ship. Sailing on this type of a ship offers a unique cruise experience, and in my opinion has the following pros and cons:

PROS:

• The Star Flyer has a passenger capacity of 170 max, but we had 155 on our sailing with all rooms occupied but one. This low passenger count made for a more intimate cruising experience.

We had the Owner’s Cabin / Owner’s Suite. Theoretically the best room on the ship – but oh how wrong we were! Here were our issues:

1. While the room is large (the largest on the ship), it’s really awkwardly laid out. There really isn’t a lot of storage (at least, not in easy-to-reach spots), and the closet is so strangely set up, the hangers won’t even sit straight on the rod.

2. The room has four different floor levels. How in the world is this safe on a sailing ship? We fell off the ledges so many times, especially in the night on the way to the bathroom.

3. There are two immovable obstacles – little cocktail tables next to the bed – that we stubbed our toes on or rammed our knees into several times. Again, how is this okay?

4. Because of the location of the room in the ship, it has a low ceiling. And because of the four floor levels, the highest floor level has the lowest ceiling. To be specific, it’s 66 inches from the floor to the ceiling at the highest floor level – that means if you’re taller than 5’5”, you’ll have to duck in at least part of the room. I’m 6 foot tall and my husband is 6’4”, so it was a miserable experience – we each hit our head on the ceiling, the wooden beams, and fire sprinklers many times. Once again – how is this okay?

5. The bathroom has a bathtub instead of a shower stall, but they call it a shower. This may not sound like a big deal until I tell you that you can only stand up to shower in the bathtub if you are shorter than 4’9”. Yes, we measured. The problem is that the bathtub sits several feet above the floor, and the ceiling is low. So since there’s virtually no way for any adult to stand up and shower, you’re forced to sit down in the bathtub and take a bath, or hold the hand-held shower-head over your head to ‘shower’ while you’re sitting down. This is absolutely ridiculous, and not fitting for the ‘best’ room on the ship. The most egregious issue, though, is getting OUT of the bathtub. From the top edge of the bathtub, it’s a 31” drop to step down to the floor. That’s almost three feet! Obviously that’s an absolute hazard and completely dangerous, especially on a ship that can rock quite a bit, and when you’re wet. This is absolutely NOT okay.

6. The biggest issue of all was that literally NONE of this was disclosed in advance. There are NO warnings about the floor, the ceiling, or the bathtub-shower on the Star Clippers website, and when speaking with the customer service reps via phone, NONE of this was disclosed (and don't say that my travel agent should've told me -- I AM the travel agent). The only way I even had an inkling about some of these issues was by reading the information on Cruise Critic – and even that didn’t fully prepare me for how bad this room actually is. So – my advice to you is to very carefully consider whether you want this room, and if you’re willing to put up with the hazards and the truly atrocious bathtub-shower situation. Even the complimentary mini-bar (which is refilled daily) doesn’t make up for all of the discomfort and injuries we incurred in this room.

7. Oh, and if you’re susceptible to being seasick, absolutely do NOT book this room. This room sits at the very back of the ship, and because of the shape of the hull, this room is essentially at the tip of the rocking horse. We had 55mph winds one day, and it was truly awful. We were doped up on Dramamine and trying to sleep, and I’m not joking when I say the ship rocked so much, we actually levitated off the bed when the ship rocked on the swells. Our friends who were in a more centrally-located room had a better experience in this matter.

8. One last strange issue -- this room also houses one of the emergency evacuation exits. There's a skylight in the room which doubles as an emergency exit. So in an emergency, there's a way for people to break into your locked room from the outside, and you're instructed how to attach a ladder to the skylight so people can escape. Not a huge deal, just something that should be disclosed when booking this room.

Overall, we absolutely detested this room and could not WAIT to get off the ship. We had far more issues with our room than our friends did in their Category 1 Deluxe Deck Cabin (the next category down). And to be honest, by looking at the other rooms on the ship as we passed them in the hallway, I would’ve preferred almost any other room to the one we had!

22 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Star Flyer Cruise from $1,640

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.