Emerald Princess Review

1,872 reviews

Fun with great friends but the ship needs work

Review for Canada & New England Cruise on Emerald Princess
baileymouse
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Family
Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2023
Cabin: Interior

I chose this cruise for the itinerary. I love going to New England and Canada, and I liked that we would be in port every day except the last day. I live close to Brooklyn and my friend lives in Brooklyn, so I suggested we go on this cruise together. She has cruised on Princess before and I haven't, and she told me I'd be in for a treat. Well, not so much in this case.

Embarkation in Brooklyn was easy. Why on earth do they charge 10 to mail the medallions? You can pick up at the port for free. We did, it didn't take long at all. Drop off was easy, a friend drove us to the port. I think we were on the ship within 15 minutes of being dropped off. We were over an hour late leaving NYC, not sure why.

I brought 200 in Princess Gift cards and didn't have any trouble applying them to my account. Guest services handled it smoothly. I didn't opt for Princess Plus because I don't drink and I didn't need internet except for the last day. For me it was better to pay as I went along.

Interior

We booked late, this was an almost last-minute addition, and this is the cabin we were assigned. We had a wonderful cabin steward but the cabin was awful. Horrendously loud, we would hear banging and clanging at 6 AM. There was a crew hallway behind our cabin and because of it, we often smelled cigarette smoke and had lots of crew constantly navigating our narrow hallway.

If both of us approached the cabin at the same time, the medallions wouldn't open the door.

The cabin itself was spacious and nicely laid out for an inside cabin, but there were no outlets other than the one by the desk. We had to unplug the TV to have a second outlet. Friends of ours, also in an inside cabin, had to do the same to use their CPAP. Since both of them use CPAPs, they had extension cords strung across the room. Update this ship already! Put in USB ports.

Port Reviews

Bar Harbor

This was my 4th cruise visit to Bar Harbor and I love to explore the port. This time I went up and visited the Jessup Memorial Library. I also made sure to have some blueberry ice cream. We had lunch while out and had a great time.

Boston

Boston is a great city with excellent transportation. We went to the JFK Library and Museum on the UMass campus. It was a wonderful place to visit. We went on our own, not with the ship's excursion. We were just in time for the free tour and it was informative and interesting. I'd go again it was so good.

Halifax

Halifax is such a great city! I've been here 4x as well, and I always find something new. This time we walked all through the city before returning and walking down to the waterfront. We visited the oldest church, and we stopped into the Halifax Central Library, which is amazing. I've visited the Museum of Immigration, Peggy's Cove and I've taken the Hop on - hop off bus tour, and all of it has been great.

Newport

We took the free bus out to the Cliff Walk, and then walked back along one of the streets. We had trouble getting a bus back because they were all full so we decided to uber. Other than the mansions and the cliff walk, it's not the greatest port.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

The Hop on-hop off wasn't as interesting of a trip as it was in Halifax. We went to the Bay of Fundy which was great, I got off, took video, and got on the next bus. The other stops on the trip were boring. A brewery, the plank restaurant that charges you to see the whirlpools, and the city center. You can get to the city center on foot from the ship, it's very close. There's a great view of the cruise port from the windows in the public library's reading room.

18 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Emerald Princess Cruise from $598

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.