Spirit of Adventure Review

GerryL13
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2023

I put down a deposit on a pair of Saga cruises in March 2020 for a 2021 cruise date. Poor timing, eh? It wasn't until three years later that I finally boarded the Spirit of Adventure to go on two different back-to-back cruises than I had initially booked.

I chose Saga not so much for the itineraries but for the ship. And for what I had read about how they welcome solo travelers. I was not disappointed. Not only are 20% of the cabins designed for solos to travel in comfort -- with a private balcony -- but the crew and even the other passengers are welcoming. Even though I was one of only two or three Americans on each cruise, I felt very much at home as soon as I boarded. Actually, even before I boarded, because Saga transported me from my Heathrow hotel to Dover.

It was well worth the distance I had to travel (from the US West Coast) to enjoy the hospitality of this boutique-style ship. I chose itineraries with plenty of sea days, but I enjoyed the stops. Excursions were so-so. Dining was very good. Service was impeccable. I'm booked for two more b2b cruises next year on the SoA sister ship, the Spirit of Discovery, and I'm pre-registered to have early access to the 2025 itineraries!

Very comfortable. Plenty of storage space. Super quiet, even though my cabin was near the elevator -- excuse me, lift -- bay and had an adjoining door.

The standard solo cabins are almost as large as the standard twin cabins. Shower is a little tight but adequate, and the bathroom is otherwise spacious. The only "fix" I would suggest for Saga would be to equip the solo cabins with full-size beds instead of queens, which would make access to the wardrobe easier.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find a Spirit of Adventure Cruise

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.