Insignia Review

Too many unusual regulations and charges.

Review for the Panama Canal & Central America Cruise on Insignia
Senior Single
10+ Cruises • Age 90s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2023

I had chosen the Insignia to do something that was closer to home in the USA. The dates of this Panama Canal cruise were great, and the solo price seemed quite reasonable. My flight to San Francisco and overnight at Hotel Focus was fine. Took a taxi for $40 to the pier.

Once on board, I felt my solo ocean view cabin was a bit "close", and the bathroom absolutely tiny. I am much smaller than many others on this cruise, and I wondered how larger sized people managed. There was no place to sit other than on the bed or a stool by the vanity. My room looked out on a small boat but allowed me a view of the sea or port. I purchased the standard beverage package on board. I was surprised to learn it limited the places and times when I could enjoy a glass of wine. Times when the dining room was open for lunch or dinner was fine, but you could not ask for a drink by the pool or a standard bar area on the ship at any time. To enjoy a glass of wine with the evening theater presentation you must take a glass with you when leaving the dining room and put it in your cabin fridge until theater time. Not a great deal!

A $50 credit was given to all of the ladies, so I booked a shampoo and blow dry at the spa. I was surprised to find that with my credit I still had a charge of $47.50. It seems the standard shampoo price is $79.50 plus a 20% service charge making it a total of $97.50. A bit pricy even on a so-called luxury ship.

7 Helpful Votes
previous reviewnext review

Find an Insignia Cruise from $1,709

Any Month

© 1995—2024, The Independent Traveler, Inc.